Pages

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

We Gather, Prepare and Pray~And Eat Too Much on "Fat Tuesday!"


Even though I know God is in control, I admit I still battle fear and anxiety. I learned that one of my favorite bloggers, Maria Furlough, was writing a book about her experience overcoming fear.  I was thrilled to be chosen as part of her Launch team for the book Breaking the Fear Cycle, which is releasing on March 6th and is available for presale. I received my copy early this week and will have much more to share about it soon. I'm almost finished reading it!

Like many people all over the World, we've been hunkered down in front of the TV watching the Olympics. The grit and drive the athletes exhibit is so impressive. The fear they overcome in order to compete and represent their countries is awe-inspiring. Even with all the mental and physical preparation, sometimes the outcome isn't a medal, but an unexpected moment that changes their dream in a split-second.

In the last week, two friends have received news that changed their world in a split-second and fear is involved. No one wants to hear the word; CANCER. Whether it's a routine exam that detects it or advanced tests that confirm it has returned and spread, it is NOT the news that is expected or hoped for. I am not a stranger to hearing that diagnosis.

When you get hard news, what do you do? Well, gathering around the table for lunch and prayer is always a good idea, so yesterday, that's why I hosted a luncheon for my sweet prayer group. Of the five of us, one is a Breast Cancer survivor, one is five treatments away from finishing radiation, and one just got diagnosed and has the battle in front of her. We gathered, prayed, and prepared for the "battle" ahead. Rather than focus on the fear, we are choosing to focus on God's goodness and faithfulness.

Lent begins tomorrow, and it is the goal of my husband and me to use the next 40 days leading up to Easter to focus more on gratitude and less on circumstances.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:4-7

My sweet friend with chickens (and ducks!) brought me a dozen beautiful and unique eggs. Looking at the various sizes and colors was a reminder that although we are all different, with different-sized problems (health issues, job loss, infertility, marriage trouble, etc.) we ALL matter to God and He desires to bring us peace in the midst of our circumstances.


Whatever you're currently facing, I hope you feel peace. Thank you for stopping by "See Jane Learn," and I wish you a very HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. Let's go spread love and joy!
Easter is coming...

In His Grip,
xo Jane

P.S.
In case you'd forgotten, today is Mardi Gras. "Fat Tuesday" isn't just happening in New Orleans, it's also happening at my house! I enjoyed a plethora of carb-loaded treats at bible study and came home with an extra cookie, scone, and apple fritter. We will attempt to return to healthy eating tomorrow, although it is Valentine's Day. As is our tradition, we made Jambalaya for dinner.


On Fat Tuesday a few years ago I concocted Hurricane cocktails, made Jambalaya and then discovered I had my "night before Lent" Mardi Gras dates mixed up and I was celebrating a week early! I wrote about that here.







No comments:

Post a Comment