Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Enough


Happy Weekend! I had an unexpected day off from my new, very-fun job as a Nanny yesterday, and so I finally got a chance to head over the bridge to go to one of my favorite groceries. 

My original plan was to head to IKEA and research some items for my daughter's wedding reception, but I realized it would be quite tempting to only look and not buy. Enter plan B. I invited a friend to join me for a trip to Trader Joe's.  I had my list of go-to items and I finished my menu-planning as I took notice of some healthy, easy dinner products. (My friend appreciated the gluten-free options.) 

I'm a list maker. I always have an ongoing grocery list on the kitchen counter, and on my phone, I type in lists for Target and IKEA, so I don't forget things. Some of these things are "needs" but many are just "wants.

I seem to have developed a pattern of going clothes shopping only when I'm on vacation. It's fun to go to stores out of state, and I like to find unique items. Last month I mentioned a few stores I planned to pop into while I was in Indiana visiting my family. I found a striped top I loved at the "Restyled" boutique in my childhood town, and my oldest sister treated me to a Fixer-Upper style plant pot from "Amanda's" consignment shop. I realized I cannot afford to shop at "Evereve." Even though I appreciate their mission, which is to provide a positive shopping experience for Moms, it's just not in the budget for this empty-nester- mom whose husband hasn't received a paycheck for a month. 

As we lean into lean times, I realize how easy it is to get sucked into the world-view that we don't have enough. That we need the latest, newest, trendy fashion or decor item. Really though, I have ENOUGH. 

How often do I feel entitled to more things, Just like the little girl in Charlie in the Chocolate Factory?


Veruca Salt: Daddy, I want a squirrel. Get me one of those squirrels, I want one!
Mr. Salt: Veruca dear, you have many marvelous pets.
Veruca Salt: All I’ve got at home is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six bunny rabbits and two parakeets and three canaries and a green parrot and a turtle, and a silly old hamster! I WANT a SQUIRREL!
I am blessed with clothes, food, cars and a home. And so, I remind myself...shopping is not a hobby! Knitting, hiking, writing, reading, gardening, cooking; those are hobbies.
 I have so much to be grateful for.
Knowing that gift-giving is one of my "Love Languages" doesn't mean I always need to put emphasis on THINGS. I can give the gift of my time, and I can also give the gift of prayer. 
I love using the ECHO app. It allows me to keep track of prayer requests, and also gives me the option of a notification. At certain times of the day my phone chimes and reminds me to pray for my Mom or my husband. In the morning during my quiet time I swipe and pray for all the needs of friends and family members. The ECHO app also makes it easy to send and share prayer requests to others. 
What is your attitude about shopping? Is it a chore or a pleasure? Do you make lists or wander aisles? Are you good at sticking to your budget? Have you become best friends with the UPS driver since you order most things from Amazon Prime? 
During this Lent season will you join me in the quest to be content and thankful for all we have, to live within our means, and develop a healthy attitude toward shopping. 
If you're not familiar with the Veggie Tales Children's video called "Madame Blueberry" you can watch it here. It's about a depressed, materialistic berry who always wants more STUFF.
Enjoy your weekend! Easter is coming...
In His Grip,
xo Jane
photo sources: veggie tales/YouTube
"Daddy, I Want a Squirrel." photo credit www.alicia-logic. “













No comments:

Post a Comment