Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Stone's Throw


We live directly across the street from Grandview Forest and the Civic center. The expression, "a stone's throw" describes how close we are. Other than the occasional litter around our mailbox, it's a fabulous and quiet street. 


a stone's throw
 a very short distanceThe apartment is just a stone's throw from the sea."Is your house far from here?" "No, it's only a stone's throw away."
My sweet college girl was packing up the car to drive back for summer school on Monday and I was waiting for her on our front porch. I could see and hear a young man on a riding lawn mower attempting to mow around the huge city water tanks. I say attempting because from the sounds I was hearing I believe he was mainly plowing over sticks, dirt and rocks. While Sarah popped in the house I was putzing around; singing and dancing (kind of normal for me.) 

I was about to straighten our American flag when I suddenly heard a loud noise like a gunshot and then a crackling sound... It took just a second to realize what had happened. A rock had shot out from under the riding mower across the street and hit our GLASS front door.

Yes. It traveled through a chain-link, no-tresspassing fence, across a street that cars drive on regularly, up our driveway and porch and hit our door. It missed me by inches. 

The bible mentions stones often. (David used a stone to kill Goliath.)
17:49 "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground."

Jesus talked about throwing stones in the New Testament when the scribes and Pharisees wanted to kill a woman caught in adultery; "Let him who is without sin among you throw the first stone." John 8:7

Joshua 4 talks about memorial stones. I WILL remember this particular stone...

I am confident that the young man hired to cut weeds, sticks,rocks grass did not intend harm on anyone. It was an accident. I try not to dwell on the what ifs. I'm so glad Sarah and my doggie Sydney had gone inside. Thankfully, God protected me from what could have done some serious damage.

We are very glad that the people who remodeled our home choose double-pane glass that doesn't shatter. It's still holding strong as we wait the 7-9 days for the new door to arrive. We're closing the door gently and keeping a sheet on the porch in case it falls... The City of Gig Harbor agreed to pay for our new front door. Yay, tax dollars working for us!


Since I've been "worrying" about having my basel cell surgery on my nose in early June, having a rock almost hit my head has put that in perspective. Yep, I'm a thankful girl.Have you had any "close encounters" lately? In His Grip, Jane xoThanks for stopping by See Jane Learn!definition source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/a-stone-s-throwphoto source: http://lifehopeandtruth.com/uploads/images/David-and-Goliath-vba.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment