Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Around the Block for Love


If you're as old as I am, you might remember the movie starring Haley Mills called "That Darn Cat!"


Tigger Duncan Carver is MY darn cat. He decided to go on another adventure last week. The weather was pretty so our back door was open. It is time for us to figure out some kind of screen door...

I didn't realize he was missing until breakfast. He must have snuck out before I locked up the house for the night. In between work and errands I hunted for him, called for him, texted my hubby to pray and hoped he hadn't wandered over to the forest. He'd been gone about 24 hours when I decided it was time for some intentional searching. I printed out fliers with "big boy's" photo and our info and started going door-to-door around the block.

"Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it?" Luke 15:4

If you're a parent (of a human variety or pet) you probably go to great lengths to show your love. Runaway Bunny is a another great example of a parent's love for their child, picture-book style.


It was a Friday night around dinnertime and most of my neighbors were out. Obviously they had more exciting Friday night plans than I did. I made some new acquaintances and unfortunately went to a house containing people and a yappy dog which will require extra grace in order for me to follow the command: love your neighbor.  The sweet grandma on the corner might not have realized that telling me about cats due to raccoons was probably NOT what I needed to hear...

Guess who was waiting for me in the driveway? Apparently Tigger just needed to know how much I loved him and what was I willing to do to prove it.

How do I love thee? All the way around the block! 
Feeling a bit worn out and a tad guilty.

 You and I also desire to know we are loved and cherished. Sometimes it only takes something little, like when my hubby makes me a pot of coffee or smoothie in the morning, or I receive a text or email from one of my four kids in the afternoon.

Sometimes it's something BIG like when God proved how much he loved mankind by sending Jesus.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 

My four kids didn't always make wise choices, but I LOVED them anyway. I ALSO tested my parent's love back in the day... "Dear Mom, I'm sorry I used to hide Boone's Farm wine in the bushes outside my bedroom window when I was in high school. Thanks for putting up with me and loving me through my wild years! Love, Janie xo"


I'm headed up to Port Townsend this weekend with my Chapel Hill sisters for our women's retreat. I know it's going to be a special time connecting with friends and hearing from the Lord. Last year our theme was Restoration and my sweet Sarah got to go with me.


My kitty cat must have discovered this year's theme: 
"Be Free!" 

How about you? Have you had to prove your love lately? Have you felt loved lately?

In His Grip,
Jane
xo

Have a great weekend friends, and thanks for stopping by See Jane Learn!

Photo sources:http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/drinking-the-bottom-shelf-boones-farm.html
sharethefiles.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Runaway_Bunny#/media/File:RunawayBunny.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment