Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Even With Scars, I Will Flourish



Why hello, friends! Yes, I know it's been three months since I wrote a blog post. I decided to pop over to my neighborhood Starbucks to write. When I'm at home I seem to get distracted. Here's my favorite distraction...Gracie!





The past couple of weeks have been rather scary and unpleasant, but the worst is behind me and I'm "on the mend." Sometime between October when I had my yearly mole check, a rainy Seattle Winter and a few sunny vacations, my fair Norwegian skin was damaged. I have had bouts of skin cancer in the past; Melanoma at age 20, a Basal cell a few years ago, and various precancer moles so I am predisposed to abnormal cells.  I get my moles checked once a year and I DO wear sunscreen when I'm on vacation but I don't apply it every day. 

I noticed an odd spot on my arm this Spring and made a Dermatologist appointment to have it biopsied. I am proud of myself for being proactive because unfortunately, it turned out to be a Melanoma. My diagnosis led to needing a wide margin removed around the area, and the sentinel lymph node removed for testing.

From the time I was diagnosed until my surgery, it was a mere two weeks. I then waited a
week to get my pathology report to find out if my Cancer had spread. I was so grateful for a good report! Now I'm in the process of healing; still wearing a sling, still having pain, and still waiting for the bandages to be removed and see my new scars. 

I heard this new worship song by the band I am They called "Scars" on the radio during the time leading up to my surgery.


"So I'm thankful for the scars
'cause without them I wouldn't 
know Your heart
And I know they'll always tell of who You are
So forever I am thankful for the scars."

Rather than focus on my ugly scars (hey, maybe I'll finally get a tattoo someday to hide them), I want to focus on God's goodness and how fortunate I am. I had SO many friends, family members and people that have never met me praying for a good outcome. What a blessing, and I felt covered in love. I will admit I had some anxious moments and sleepless nights while waiting, but I never doubted God was with me and for me. I want to take good care of myself now, and do what I can to prevent future Cancers. Which brings me to the my-one-word I chose back in January...flourish.

A few years ago my Fraternity, Chi Omega, chose flourish as their theme for both undergrads and alumni. Currently, the theme is "sisters on purpose" I love that too! 

Photo source: Sorority Sugar on Pinterest
The definition of FLOURISH resonated with me since I want to be used in my home and community to bless others. I'm adopting the bloom where I'm planted mentality. I also found a scripture verse that spoke to me.

Flourish definition:
1. To grow or develop in a healthy or vigorous way, especially as the result of a particularly favorable environment.
"wild plants flourish on the banks of the lake"

synonyms:growthriveprosper, grow/do well, developburgeonincreasemultiplyproliferate;
2. a. to achieve success: Prosper
    b. to be in a state of activity or production
    c. to reach a height of development or influence
3. to make bold and sweeping gestures.

"The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the LORD; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the LORD is upright; he is my rockand there is no unrighteousness in him." Psalm 92: 12-15

If you have fair skin or suspicious-looking moles or spots, please learn from me. Don't spend too much time sunbathing and get checked out! The American Cancer Society website has a lot of information. 

Although I can't do a whole lot of typical summertime activities outside right now due to having my arm in a sling and needing to stay clean and dry, I will be applying my sunscreen, wearing a hat, and seeking an umbrella chair the next time I get to travel to a beach or desert destination. Oh, and using my self-tanner...

Thanks for reading, See Jane Learn! 

In His Grip,
xo Jane


xo 




P            






Photo 
PhPho

1 comment:

  1. Superb article and valuable information because it’s helpful for me. Thanks for sharing us. Buy Indian Twitter Followers

    ReplyDelete