Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Cheers to Me!



It's day 30 of My Whole 30 "adventure." I made it to the finish line! Think of the tortoise in "The Tortoise and the Hare" story.  Some moments were REALLY hard and I wanted to quit. It got easier. I learned to survive without dairy, legumes, grains, sugar, soy and alcohol. I learned to order "compliant" food off restaurant menus. I am really conscious of reading labels now, and wanting to eat food in it's "clean" and natural state.

I wasn't perfect, but pretty darn close. There might have been a tiny bit of sugar in a restaurant's Balsamic salad dressing, I realized I had bread and juice during Communion (I just feel confident that God understands) and I did cheat once and have half a glass of red wine with my son who was home visiting. Not only did I feel guilty, but it was underwhelming.

If you read any of my posts over the last month, (I'll link them below) then you'll remember I wasn't super committed at the starting line. I found myself participating before I had prepared myself mentally, or my kitchen physically. But...I did it. I read lots of articles, watched some You Tube videos, tried LOTS of recipes (mostly found on Pinterest) and just kept going.


I will do my best to slowly reintroduce the foods I've abstained from, but it could be a little tricky following the suggested plan while in Napa! I head to the airport soon for my rendezvous and weekend getaway with my husband. I'll hopefully take some wonderful pictures and will share some of our favorite spots in a future post.

I finally stepped on the scale this morning and it says I lost 12 pounds. Yay! My clothes are fitting better and  I'm sure I lost some inches, but I never measured...  

Will I ever do this program again? Maybe...but probably not. I will be adopting lots of the healthy habits I learned. Do I recommend others try it? YES! If you have bad habits that you'd like to break, and want to get serious about losing weight and getting healthy. I think having to give up SO many foods helps you stay focused and committed.  I learned to say no and use willpower

I nibbled on nuts while my bible study friends enjoyed a delicious quiche... I even sat across from my husband (who started the plan five days before me) while he had a glass of wine and chocolate mousse for dessert and I didn't cry or whine... Congrats to him!



If you want to find out more, you can check out  the official website. and I found this very informative article written by "Preventative" magazine that I wish I'd read 30 days ago,

So enough about that... Here's a recap on what's been going on in my little corner of the world:

  • My ugly, bloody eye isn't completely healed, but it's much better. 
  • The air quality here in Washington State is horrible-so smokey from the fires up in Canada. The sun appears orange and it's uncomfortable to be outside for long. 
  • Our dry-spell has reached about 54 days without rain. 
  • I'm thrilled to discover that both our daughters will be given there own classrooms to teach in, rather than having to fit into a corner of  another teacher's room, or wheel around a cart. 
  • It's MUCH more fun to watch "Chesapeake Shores" on the Hallmark channel, then the depressing, scary news on "NBC." Season two started Sunday night. Make sure you watch season one first.
  • I need to purchase the "Nasa-approved" protective glasses to be ready for the Solar Eclipse on the 21st!

With the unsettling news about North Korea and possible missiles, I choose to focus on my family, health, friends, choosing joy, and remaining confident that the one who created this Earth and ALL the people, is still in control!

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend! I'll be in the Vineyards... Cheers!

In His Grip,
xo Jane

If you missed my 30 day journey:
https://learningjane.blogspot.com/2017/07/heres-truth.html
https://learningjane.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-journey-so-far-my-whole-30-adventure.html
https://learningjane.blogspot.com/2017/07/see-jane-keep-going.html
https://learningjane.blogspot.com/2017/08/5-favorites-for-friday-my-list-and-few.html

No comments:

Post a Comment