Pages

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Here's the Truth


Happy weekend friends! Our town has an annual art festival happening downtown, so we wandered down the hill. Did I mention how much I love living downtown? In ten minutes we can walk to our "main drag" on the waterfront! But then we have to walk back up...

I am being challenged right now. My daughter decided to do the month-long eating program called Whole 30 and my husband wanted to encourage her and be an accountability partner, so he chose to do it too.

I want and need to lose weight. I need to curb my sugar addiction. But~there's a part of me who has NEVER wanted to do this program. Giving up ALL dairy and bread? NO alcohol?! I've gone without wine during my four pregnancies, haven't I already done my "Time?" It's just not much fun for summertime and socializing. They claim they can change my life...


If I don't continue than I'll be a "quitter." I don't want to be a quitter and I want to prove to my family and myself that I can DO this, but I don't WANT to!! I feel a bit like Paul in Romans 7:19
"I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway."

I was on a bit of a rant Thursday. Usually I'm a cheerful person and try to say encouraging things. That day however, I found myself out-of-sorts. I accompanied my husband and one of his co-workers on an overnight business trip to Portland because...why not? I had two days off work, I love Portland, free hotel stay and I could see my friend who happens to be my daughter-in-law's Mom!

What I learned is that Portland is not the place to go if you are on a strict budget AND attempting the Whole 30 eating program. After my black coffee, eggs and bacon, I started my window shopping since I had two hours to kill. First I headed over to Nordstrom to see the Anniversary Sale. Now WHY did I think that was a good idea? Even the mark-downs weren't in the family budget! Besides, I'm trying to become more of a minimalist so more stuff isn't the answer. Oh but the shoes... so many cute ones! Do you check out their annual sale?

As I walked around the downtown area all I could see were food trucks and restaurants containing things I couldn't eat or drink. (There was also lots of construction.) I had cheated the night before and had a glass of wine (Oregon Pinot Noir!) so I was determined to stay focused. I had a salad and chicken, then Ubered over to meet my friend for Pedicures and to catch up. The salon (Rex) was lovely and we had fun sans food or drink.

I discovered an hour later that my sandal had totally moofed (is that a word?) my big toe polish. Boo! By the time we made it back to the Harbor after spending three hours in heavy traffic I was DONE. (Ask my poor friends who actually sat with us while we gobbled our appropriate food down at a local spot around 9:00 p.m.) Note to our waitress: Next time, do not make a cranky mama wait 45 minutes for her SALAD when she's had a rough day and is hangry~your tip will be low and you're lucky I didn't yell!

As I contemplate the "should I quit the Whole 30 plan and just cut back on most things??", I'm reminded of one thing I successfully completed this summer and it took way more than 30 days.

I watched all seven seasons of "Pretty Little Liars!"

The show is described as "Four friends band together against an anonymous foe who threatens to reveal their darkest secrets, while unraveling the mystery of the murder of their best friend."
I know, it's ridiculous that I got sucked in as a 50 year old mama (yep, I'm now 57) but it was addictive. At the time it started, I had just moved to a new town in Illinois and my daughter and I enjoyed watching it together. It was totally out of my normal genre of shows, was totally unbelievable, had millions of text messages, and didn't exactly follow my beliefs and values. They touched on the topic of sexual orientation which definitely wasn't my favorite part, but I kept watching to find out who "A" was! My daughter Sarah stopped watching...I did not. NO ONE else I knew watched it, so I didn't have anyone to talk to about it!

I was a bit blown-away by how the writers wrapped things up.  I won't spoil it for you in case you'd like to binge watch it on Netflix. The fashion and beauty were always fun to see, lots of twists, Ezra was quite good-looking, coffee was always involved, cocktails once they turned 21, and ALWAYS loyal friendship. Through thick or thin, the girls stuck together. (Well, except toward the end of the series.)

While we were in Los Angeles last Fall we went on the Warner Brothers back lot tour.  I'm still recovering from learning that the towns of Stars Hollow (Gilmore Girls) and Rosewood (Pretty Little Liars) are the same sets with the Chapel removed. What??!!



I have a group of friends I do life with, and we send a lot of group text messages. We however, don't lie and we do a lot of praying together. We ALL need friends to encourage us, love on us, and hold us accountable.

"You use steel to sharpen steel,
    and one friend sharpens another."
Proverbs 27:17 MSG


Back to the Whole 30 issue... besides my family, I do have friends who have done this program and survived. Also, I suppose if I want to look like the cast of Pretty Little Liars, I should embrace the Whole 30 eating plan?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

To be continued...

P.S. If you ever watch PLL, let me know who your favorite character was, and if you were surprised by the conclusion.

In His Grip,
Jane

(Top Photo source: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28116149)




No comments:

Post a Comment