Pages

Monday, April 17, 2017

All By Myself...and the Recycling Buckets


I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! We were thrilled to have one of our four kiddos home for the weekend, along with our sweet daughter-in-law. Of course I missed the others and my extended family! We had a delicious Easter dinner Saturday night, attended our church's modern 11:00 worship service, "HE IS RISEN INDEED!" and then went to a lovely brunch at the home of friends who built a beautiful place on Fox Island.



My oldest daughter was apparently doing an amazing job of leading worship at her Spokane Church, "Immanuel." Later this week I will try to share some of her music. She is gifted!

Now it's Monday, and the house is QUIET again. Each week, my hard-working, business-traveling husband flies off for work and returns Wednesday or Thursday evening. That means I'm all by myself with Thor and Sydney. Some weeks feel lonelier than others. I have my part-time work and bible study to look forward to, I often go to my girlfriend's house for Taco Tuesday, but still... sometimes it's TOO quiet!


I took my dog Sydney on a short walk this morning. (My X-ray showed no damage even though my foot and ankle still hurt! Guess it's time for some physical therapy.)

It's garbage day in the downtown area and today is gray-bucket paper and plastic recycling day.
Do you notice something amiss? Do you notice that someone didn't pay any attention to their neighbors and notice that they were the ONLY family on the street putting out a BLUE yard-waste bucket?


Immediately I thought of the Sesame Street song, "One Of These Things." I loved that segment of the show and used to work on that classification skill when I taught early childhood.

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Sometimes it's OK to be different than all the others.

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person..." ROMANS 12:2

Sometimes time spent alone is useful...
God often uses our alone time to teach us and remind us that He is enough and we're never alone. Once we're "filled up" with God's word and time spent in prayer, then we're ready to go out and pour out love on others. I do recommend putting out the correct recycling bucket though.

Are YOU brave enough and secure enough in your faith to stand out from the crowd? To be the only "blue bucket" on your street?...


Grateful for Grace and In His Grip,
xo Jane


1 comment:

  1. Your blog made me smile! Love the photo of your cat and dog and I laughed at your neighbour putting out the wrong bin on rubbish day. My neighbour is all over the place with his bins, so I can relate. It's quite simple here: every other week is recycling week, but he always gets it wrong. I think I'll need to help him out!

    Dennis Barton @ Chands Disposal

    ReplyDelete