Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Thinking About Purpose

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)

Today I've been thinking about why I'm going into this new year without a lot of changes. It's a good thing; same family, home, job, ministry. Sometimes things or people are for just a season and other times we're called to things because God has a purpose for us. I am resting in the knowledge that right now I'm where God wants me. Here's what my journey has looked like so far:

God knew me before I was even conceived, stayed with me even when I didn’t know or follow him, and all the while He’s been working out the path of my life.

photo source:inspired2prosper.com

Being the youngest of three girls in a family of teachers helped me when I became a teacher of First Grade, Preschool and Kindergarten. I had excellent role models.

Things I learned as an Early Education teacher helped me as I became the Mommy of four children. Chaos? Yep. Practicing reading, figuring out homework, organizing schedules, teacher conferences... So many things that go along with education. 

Choosing to stay home  during most of my children’s growing up years and choosing to teach part-time for several years allowed my family the gift of my time and attention, and it's helped me to value and understand Moms who stay home and those who choose/have to, work outside the home. As long as parents and children are thriving, either option can be good.

My love for mothering and babies has led me to a ministry I love (MOPS-Mothers of Preschoolers) and a part-time job at a baby boutique called Charlie Barnes.
I’m able to chat with new-to-town couples and connect them to local resources because I was once that new person and I have a heart for those trying to put down roots in new places...

Conversations occur with customers as I wrap their packages about aging parents and I can listen and relate since my Mama just turned 90 and has had to deal with lots of surgeries and changes...

The love I have for all things “baby” helps me assist shoppers in choosing that special gift. I get to snuggle and adore babies and toddlers. How sweet to get my "baby fix" since it's not yet my time to be a Grandma. It's especially rewarding when I get to celebrate with expectant parents by peeking at their Ultrasound results and then wrapping up a pink or blue present to be opened later. Such joy!

I have the privilege of working for and with young women who put up with me being old enough to be their Mom.  Since my four children live out of town, I get my "young people fix.” 
I believe my purpose is right where I’m at; loving on my husband and home (and furry babies), parenting long-distance, being available to help friends and neighbors, and loving on the young families that I serve at work and at church. Until I feel led by the Holy Spirit to pursue a different direction, I think I’m in my spot and it's all part of my ongoing story.

How about you? Do you know your purpose? 
In His Grip,

xo Jane

If you want to read a bit more about God's purpose for all of us, check out this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment