Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

What I Learned in 2015


Happy New Year! I'm linking up with Emily Freeman at Chatting at the Sky and looking back to recall the major moments and things I learned over the past year.

Lessons from Football:
I consider myself a "12th man" and love to cheer for our Seahawks team even though I don't truly understand the rules of the game... It is also true that Americans seem way more excited about their favorite sports teams than they do about following Jesus. Are you a fan of Jesus? Can others tell by what you wear or how you love?

Our spot is so special:
We've lived in our current home now for just over a year and we continue to pinch ourselves. We LOVE our house, view, neighbors, convenience to everything and how friends swing by more often since it's in a great location. SO grateful...


Retreating with girlfriends is a must:
I was fortunate to go see Beth Moore Live up in Seattle last winter and return to Pt. Townsend for a Spring weekend women's retreat. There is just something special about leaving town with girlfriends to focus on God, fellowship and worship. To my friends who claim they don't "do" women's retreats I plead once again...be brave, it's worth it!


There are always natural consequences:
Example #1~The pounds have continued to creep on... I cannot keep blaming Menopause. Perhaps the desserts, carbs, wine and margaritas coupled with not enough exercise is to blame?  Dang! I finally stood on the mean machine (aka~scale) and it told me the reason all my clothes are too tight.

Example #2~All those moments in the sun with my pale Norwegian skin and not enough sunscreen led to an unfortunate event; my second bout with skin cancer. This one was right on my nose and the Mohs surgery and recovery was NOT fun! Every day I have to see and try to cover-up my scar. Boo. Wear sunscreen and hats people!

Unexpected events happen:
Back in May I wrote about our front door being hit by a flying rock and shattering. It happened so unexpectedly and it took a LONG time to get it fixed.

In October, what began as a typical Mops morning quickly became a day of disbelief and grief. One of my dear friends died suddenly a few days after surgery and there was a ripple effect that was felt in our entire church and community. Life can change so quickly~let your friends and family know you care. We miss you Malinda!

I need nature and the city:
I love the ocean and had a wonderful time in May visiting my oldest son and his wife who live in California. My daughter lives in Nashville and we spent several busy days in Music City. I would have a hard time choosing busy vs. beautiful. My soul needs the beauty of water, green and mountains, plus I love people and shopping and dining out. Thankfully I got to have a bit of both this past year!



Sisters can be alike and different:
My two older sisters have mannerisms and tastes in food that are very similar. The three of us definitely look like we belong to the same family. We've all chosen careers that are in the field of education, and/or helping kids and families. There are many differences though, in our personalities, where we live, some of our beliefs, and our hobbies. They both got to come out to the PNW for my son's wedding in October and it was SO fun to spend time with them and let them peek into my "world."

My two daughters are also the same and different. They both have their Daddy's beautiful brown eyes and huge hearts, they both chose to become educators and they're both talented (one is musical, the other, an artist.) There is a difference in their tidiness factor...One is an organizing Maven, the other, not so much. If they ever decide to live together in the future, that could be interesting!



I am NOT up on the news:
When I was growing up my parents were always reading the newspaper and watching the network and local news. It is really difficult for me to process hard, sad, scary news so I basically avoid it.  I know adults should be a bit more informed on current events but I'd rather hear on a need-to-know basis by my hubby who checks in online with USA Today.

Parenting changes:
Parenting adults is quite a bit more challenging than parenting kiddos who live at home. How much do I say? How do I show concern while letting them make their own choices and decisions. How do I stay connected even though all four of them live a car or plane-ride away? Have I accepted that both my sons have wives who come before me? These are questions that I continue to grabble with.

I'm learning as I go, sometimes getting advice from friends, always praying. One thing remains the same no matter how old they get. When they're happy, I'm happy! (See photo at the top.) When they're hurt or sad, I hurt right along with them... How I love these four!


Marriage is hard, but oh so worth it:
Thirty two years with this guy who asked me to marry him about six weeks after we met. So glad I said yes and that God has been with us every step of the way... Thanks for putting up with me Michael!

What did you learn in 2015?

In His Grip,
Jane







2 comments:

  1. Love this! What a great reflection on a full year!! I learned this year that it really is possible to change, even things that seem long built in to our habits and hearts- I'm so grateful for that!
    I also learned that the world needs more of us to listen- to REALLY listen- to our hearts, our family, those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God put it on my heart to choose the word "listen" as my "word of the year!"...

    ReplyDelete