Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

What I Learned in January

Here's what I learned this month:

  • I hope to go back to Hawaii.

My youngest spent the month taking a class in Hawaii on the island of Ohahu. She's an Art Ed major and she was doing a multi-cultural class for her "Jan-Term." I do not remember having that option back at Ball State University in the late 70's. She loved learning about the culture and experiencing the beauty of God's creation. One thing she shared that surprised me,  was that ALL the islands only have one school district. My hubby and I have been to Hawaii together once, for a shot trip, and I went for a week in High School. There are SO many reasons I hope we can go again someday! Notice her tan in the photo above, vs. her Norwegian-skinned Mama...

  • Back up cameras only work if you use them. (Don't read this part Michael.)
My new Rav4 is wonderful; heated seats, great features, room for Sydney. The back-up camera is super helpful, but one day I was backing out of a busy parking lot and was paying attention to the car waiting for me to leave. I should have also checked the screen to see there was also a car driving by... Let's just say the honking and swearing got my attention in time to avoid a fender bender. Wow. Road rage in my quaint hometown is alive and stupid well.
  • Sometimes a "smiley face" isn't enough.
My oldest daughter introduced me to a new personal Emoji for my text messages called Bitmoji. It's a free App and makes sending messages WAY more fun. I got to design myself~hair color, build, clothing...Bitmoji is rated T for teen, but it's fun for Mamas too! 

  • Some people do not pay attention to signs.
One of my tasks at the baby boutique where I work part-time is to take out the trash and recycle the shipping boxes our products arrive in. Apparently our alley dumpsters are attractive to people that don't read. I seriously pulled that vacuum out of the recycling! #makesmegrumpy #noroomforourtrash























  • Do you know which animal lives in America?
Most of us grew up singing or hearing the western song "Oh Home on the Range" that was written in the 1800's. When the line says, "where the deer and the buffalo roam," it should really be "where the deer and the Bison Bison roam." Bison live in America, Buffalos are found in Asia and Africa. Perhaps Mr. Kelley would have appreciated having access to the internet. Check out this link to learn more. (Thanks for bringing this to my attention Allie!)

 Photo source: Lunch Breath
  • I need to practice my word for 2016.
For the last several years I have chosen one word to focus on, rather than making resolutions. This year it took me a while to decide, but then I knew. I chose the word LISTEN. I want to listen to God and listen to my friends and family, rather than always thinking of what I'm going to say... I want to hear what God is teaching me and not talk so much... This will totally be a challenge. 


"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."

As I compose this, I'm hanging out in the business lounge of the Spokane, Washington airport. I drove over with my daughter (it's her LAST college semester) and so I'm flying home.  Today I learned a painful lesson: Always check your flight status before getting to the airport!

I'm linking up with Emily Freeman at Chatting at the Sky
What have YOU learned this month?

In His Grip, 
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment