Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Candlesticks


We are three sisters who live in different places yet ALL love the set of Norwegian Christmas Tree candlesticks that belonged to our Grandma Grace's family. Growing up, the candlesticks always adorned the mantle of our rock fireplace on Jenny Lane. I enjoyed looking at them there from the age of 7 until I married at 23 and moved out. When our Daddy passed away my Mom moved into a smaller home and the beautiful trees had their place of honor on her new mantle.


Last November she moved one more time, into the retirement center called The Barrington. Her apartment is cute but we realized she didn’t have a mantle and the candlesticks just really didn’t “fit” into her small place. That left my two older sisters and I with a dilemma. Who would get to own them? We aren’t siblings who fight over objects~we know people are more important than things...

It didn't take long for my oldest sister to come up with a brilliant idea! We would take turns! She had them last year, and she carefully packed them and passed them on to my middle sister who lives about 45 minutes from her. (The photo below shows them in my middle sister's home.)  I’m the only one who lives far away~Washington State is FAR away from Indiana, so they will have to be carefully shipped to me.


Isn’t this idea brilliant?! Remember in the movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, how all the friends made special memories while having their turn with the jeans? They were all very different girls yet they all appreciated the jeans in their own way. (And they all miraculously "fit"!) My sisters and I all have very different styles and beliefs, yet we love each other and our family memories. 

My sisters are givers; of their time and talents. They are always there for my Mom and each other. Living thousands of miles away, it’s hard to stay in the loop or feel helpful, but they keep me posted with texts and never make me feel guilty. When I visit them (about 2-3 times a year) they clear their calendars and give me their time & attention. I AM the baby, they say. I AM the princess still. 

“Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” 
Luke 6:38 

I eagerly await a package arriving from Indiana when Christmas is over. Our new-to-us home doesn't have a very wide mantle, but next December I will be delighted to take my turn with the  “traveling” Norwegian Tree Candlesticks. Even if they need to be placed on our farm table if they won't fit safely on our fireplace mantle, I can't WAIT to have my turn sharing this gift of love, family memories and sisterhood. 


Did you notice the amazing stockings in the photos? Another family tradition started by my Grandma Grace Pande' Young was the hand-knit stockings made for each baby's first Christmas. They are beautiful, vintage-looking and BIG! My four children were each given one lovingly-made by my Mommy. Someday when I discover I am becoming a Grandma I will be attempting to keep that stocking tradition going... 

What are special treasures in your family??









In His Grip, 





Jane                   Thanks for stopping by See Jane Learn













Even more loved and treasured than family heirlooms?... The gift of JESUS, and sharing and passing on the heritage of faith.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16








No comments:

Post a Comment