Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Friends, Fries and Jesus


Why is this date special to me? December 17, back in 1977 was the day my life took a different direction because I asked Jesus into my heart.

A girlfriend asked me to meet her at Steak 'n Shake. Back in the late 1970's, in Carmel, Indiana, we didn't have Starbucks so friends met at burger joints or Pizza Hut. On an ordinary school night about a week before Christmas she shared Jesus with me. I was willing to listen because she was a good friend and I trusted her. Her Mom was our town Mayor, we were in a school club together and I'd known her for years. She was a part of a local church's youth group and had invited me several times. Over fries and a milkshake, she explained why she believed that Jesus came to die for us and gave me a little booklet.



Do people even give these out anymore?? 

I remember going home, kneeling by my bed (rib-cord from Sears or J.C. Penney's~I was Mod!) and praying to ask Jesus into my heart. If you've never heard of the Salvation prayer, you can check out one example here. It's all about grace, love and acknowledging God as our Lord and Savior.

After I prayed I felt a little different. I was a senior in high school, had just turned 17, and wasn't sure what to do next. Looking back, I didn't really have a mentor or follow-up. I had a special Christmas even though I didn't really share my "news" with many. BUT... I felt LOVED, and GOD knew he had a plan for my life. 

I've been a believer for 38 years. Ups and downs. Years when I "took a break" (college?), and years that I have felt SO close to God. I've belonged to great churches in three states and had wonderful pastors and bible study teachers who have and continue to, help me on my faith journey. It's a life-long process and certainly an adventure that will last an eternity!

Has a friend shared the Good News with you? Have you shared your relationship with Jesus with a friend or family member? I am thankful my girlfriend was bold and brave and loved me enough to share the good news. After all, Jesus is the reason for the season!!

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Totally makes sense why french fries bring me JOY!
Happy Anniversary to me and Merry Christmas to you!! 

In His Grip,                          
Jane                     Thanks for reading See Jane Learn!



No comments:

Post a Comment