Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lessons Learned in December

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8

I'm wishing all who read my tiny little blog a very Happy New Year!! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with loved ones and that you had the opportunity to create moments to treasure. Here are six things I learned this month:

ALWAYS use your turn signal. Use your turn signal even if there isn’t a car behind you! Why? Well, because you just might be driving behind a sheriff who is watching you in his rearview mirror. Yes, he pulled over, and then pulled US over. My husband got a ticket for failing to signal (We were on the way to the hospital for a medical test for my back pain and then we got to add more $$$pain to our day.) Merry Christmas to you too Officer Un-friendly! (Imagine Miss Piggy's voice from The Muppets Christmas Carol.)

Saying you are simplifying the holiday season and not stressing over details could really just be procrastination.  Am I the only one who realized that putting off choosing pictures and ordering a Christmas card might transpire into NO cards being created and sent for 2013? It’s the first time that’s happened in 30 years of marriage! I’m still debating making and sending Happy New Year’s cards. Any thoughts? I also put off cookie baking, so there weren’t all the delicious choices stored in the freezer that I had envisioned. 

A weak Transverse abdominis might send you to the E.R. and if you’ve ever been pregnant or had a baby (or four), you shouldn’t do sit-ups. (I  learned the sit-up fact yesterday at Physical Therapy.) My PT gal explained that there are lots of other ways to strengthen my non-existent core muscles that are better for the female body. Why was I at Physical Therapy? Well, two weeks ago I lifted one of my favorite little people and apparently I didn’t have a strong Transverse abdominis and my back went “out”. The pain progressed enough that after I saw my Chiropractor, my doctor, and had a test, I ended up in E.R. the Saturday before Christmas where I received the gift of Narcotics.  I missed work, a meeting, a party, and basically was not my usual Jolly Jane in the days leading up to Christmas. We still managed to pull off our annual Open House party that weekend thanks to my hubby and kids pitching in and me releasing some of my need for perfection. Every day my back gets a little better.

The latest People magazine said that Kerry Washington is expecting her first child. Does that mean Olivia Pope on Scandal gets to be pregnant too? If so, will the baby be President Fitzgerald’s or Jake Ballard’s? Have you been watching Scandal? 

Sappy holiday movies bring me so much joy! I love watching Christmas movies on Lifetime and the Hallmark channel. I need to start watching sweet movies throughout the year when my husband is out of town (They would balance out the intensity and gore of Scandal!) My very favorite one I watched was The Twelve Trees of Christmas. 

Sometimes your “word of the year” becomes more than just a “word”. I’ve decided parenting now that my "babies" are all in their twenties is a tad more challenging than when they were actual babies. I continue to want to protect our four kids but they get to make their own decisions now. I have to release control and trust God. Hmmm...TRUST was my word of the year for 2013 and now I need to really DO it.  My #2 child is moving to Nashville and the Jeep heads East in twelve days. (She hasn’t secured a job or a spot to live...she HAS heard and felt God calling her there, so in faith, she’s obeying. I get to road-trip across the country with her, visit my Mom and sisters on the way and TRUST that God is working out the details. (She just got a voicemail this morning that she has a teaching interview at a preschool when she arrives...can you please shoot up prayers for her?)

As 2013 draws to a close I am deciding on my new “word for the year”, looking around at decorations that need to be packed up and feeling thankful that I had all four of my children home this Christmas. I’ve been looking at pictures from our special week together knowing that even though I can’t know what  the future holds, I have memories to treasure. 
 “But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.” Luke 2:19

I’m linking up with Emily Freeman at Chatting at the Sky. What did you learn in December?

In His Grip, Jane


Photo source: http://www.irishculture.org/events/2013/12/31/upcoming-events/annual-new-year-s-eve-celebration/

No comments:

Post a Comment