Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Names, Names, Names


 I name inanimate objects and rename things to make them sound friendlier. Am I the only one who does this?

Here’s a sample of what I'm talking about:
Violetmy bicycle
Sophiemy car (a Sorento)
Noogiea nicer way to say booger
Tootdoesn't that sound more polite than fart?
Blankieyes I love my super-soft, cuddly blanket and admit to sleeping with it every night.

I have a ton more names and my children and cat have nicknames, but you get the idea… Fiona was the name I gave the mean fibroid that was attended to by surgery yesterday. "She" had made me feel puffy and not myself for quite some time.

While at St. Joe’s yesterday morning, preparing for the procedure to remove "Fiona", I discovered two new, fun things that made my hospital experience better!

Heated gowns Yep, they attach a hose and puff you up with warm air.       Delightful! I hate being cold.

Compression wraps for lower legs to ensure good circulation so people don’t get blood clots. Brilliant! Why aren't these available for long plane flights?

I am happy to report that thanks to the doctor’s skill and all the prayers from friends and family that all went well and I’m resting comfortably (while spending way too much time on Pinterest and Facebook).  
Fiona can now go back to being just the name of Shrek's wife.

Forgive me for getting a bit off track, let's go back to names... I've been learning so many things in my current bible study and one of them is the importance of names. In Biblical times, the changing of one's name was significant and used to symbolize the binding of a covenant. When God re-named Abram to Abraham (father of many nations) and his wife Sarai to Sarah (princess and laughter) it meant something. God would fulfill his promise to give them a son.

When we marry and take on our husband’s last name we are showing a new beginning and a desire to honor the marriage covenant. Yep, I went from Miss Story to Mrs. Carver 29 years ago.

It is exciting to think that when I arrive in Heaven someday, God will whisper in my ear the specific name he has just for me. 

“To everyone who is victorious I will give some of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven. And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it.” Revelation 2:17

Mr. C and I might be re-naming a doggie soon. There is a good chance we’ll be heading to Yakima to meet and greet a doggie whose name is currently Sadie. (Yep, that was our sweet Lab’s name that passed away last year.) Coincidence?Probably not.

Isaiah 49:16 “See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands.”

I hope you have a great weekend and take delight in knowing that God remembers us and knows our names.

In His Grip, Jane  'God is gracious' 

Photo Source:ts ask.com 373 × 900 - PrincessFiona | Ask.com Encyclopedia

No comments:

Post a Comment