Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Maybe a Snickers Bar Will Help

(Photo credit: hdryver.wordpress.com)
Their room is empty. It feels empty. We're not officially empty nesters, and yet we are...Our son and his bride have officially been in their Chicago apartment for three nights. Both our daughters are in the Washington Studio. Our college boy is in his dorm at Whitworth.

 This parenting thing is a series of hellos and goodbyes and it's not for the weak. I grasp the concept that we're supposed to raise and launch our children out into the world, but I like them around. Since I returned to Illinois at Christmas, I'd gotten into an easy routine. Mitch would come home from work, run on the treadmill, then we'd have a small "tide me over" snack and usually a little cocktail of some sort. The three of us would watch sports or read until it was time for Amy's commuter train to arrive. I liked planning and making meals for four. (Remember, I used to cook for six!) I'd cook while Amy ran, then we'd enjoy catching up over dinner.

 I wish I could say I used our treadmill on a regular basis but it is almost George Washington's birthday, and like him, "I cannot tell a lie." The treadmill just died. Guess it knew instinctively that it's major users were gone. We'll have to see if it can be repaired once we arrive back in our rainy state.

 While Mitch and Amy resided here we sort of ran a small B & B. Lots of their out of town friends came and stayed with us for nights, weekends or weeks. I liked having a home that was used and welcoming. Now it's quiet. It's staying clean for showings and Mike and I are enjoying our together-time knowing it's like we're in the "eye of a storm". Our world was active and crazy before and it will be again.

 "Why are you downcast, O my soul." Psalm 43:5

 I know it won't be long before we're packing up the Carver Cottage and heading west to a rental where we can be with our girls again. This week though my heart is heavy, I'm cranky and not much fun to be around. Mike told me I needed a Snickers bar. "You're not yourself," he said. Well of course not!I am the Momma Bear and none of my cubs are here!

 Living close enough to walk to town has it's advantages. Maybe I'll go to the store and buy a Snickers bar!

 In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment