Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Little Bitty


“Might as well share, might as well smile, life goes on for a little bitty while.”

Country music lyrics are so true; the line above is from the Allan Jackson song entitled “Little Bitty".

Sarah and I are continuing to enjoy our “Gilmore Girls” time in our Harbor apartment. We were thankful that Mike and T.J. could join us for almost a week to celebrate Thanksgiving. Our landlords were gracious in allowing two extra bodies to squeeze into a space that is meant for one or two at the most.

I have a good idea of how the Mom on Little House on the Prairie felt. One room living is interesting and I would not make a good pioneer mom. If I was Pollyanna, I'd mention how quick it is to clean an itty bitty home, but my husband calls me the Anti-Polly. My patience became as thin as parchment paper as the suitcases, extra clothes, toiletries and dishes started piling up. My O.C.D. tendencies were definitely tested. I like order. I like pretties, but not clutter. I like surfaces (including the floor) that are relatively clear.

For a little bitty while, that’s not what I had. I DID have family time though. Maybe we didn’t get to do our traditional Thanksgiving, but we spent the day with wonderful friends-they shared. We didn’t get to bring out the Christmas boxes and begin decorating the house, but I know I can do that after I arrive back in Illinois in less than two weeks. (We do have a tiny tree with lights and a festive placemat!) We missed our annual trek to Mitchell’s Tree farm to cut down the perfect tree, but we got to smell pine on our walk, play Banana-grams and eat Daddy’s biscuits & gravy.

Although it seems like forever since our daughter applied to her #1 college, it was really just a little bitty while. She got the official “yes” envelope from Whitworth on Friday. The tears of joy and her smile were worth the wait. Her Daddy and brother were here to share in the moment.

We are over half-way finished with our 18 months of living in two places. With God’s grace, amazing friends and the belief that it’s just for a little bitty while, our life goes on

Lessons Learned: Pandora radio is fabulous-just a click and you can choose what music genre you’re in the mood for, “a little bitty plan and a little bitty dream” can totally work if God is in control, and some of the best gifts come in little bitty packages.

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment