Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dressing or Stuffing?


(Photo credit: oldsweetsong.com)
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! I am thankful that my hubby flew out to the Harbor to spend the week with me. I am thankful that two of our four + one kids are here with us. I am thankful for friends inviting us to join them for a feast since we can’t fix a turkey in our “easy-bake-sized” toaster oven.

My favorite item I can’t wait to enjoy every year is the stuffing/dressing. Growing up as a Story girl, it was called dressing. My Mom added tons of sage, fresh parsley and butter. It was always moist. Then I married my Carver boy… I was in for a bit of a shock that first Thanksgiving together. First of all, his family called my favorite side-dish stuffing. Second of all he used bacon in it and hardly any butter. Imagine my shock!

Marriage is about give and take, and after 28 years we’ve figured out the side dish dilemma. I now call it stuffing too, unless I’m with my Mom or sisters. He adds fresh parsley now and doesn’t get too irritated when I sneak in melted butter and some broth after he leaves the kitchen. I always get to have the moister batch that comes from inside the turkey cavity.

Does the name really matter? My children are called a lot of different names but they answer to most of them. Our God has many names. Whether he is called Yahweh, Adonai, Lord, El Shaddai, or any of his other names, we know HE IS GOD. When I enjoy the stuffing/dressing at my friend’s home tomorrow, I won’t be focused on what to call it; I’ll just be enjoying it!

Lessons Learned
: Don’t accidentally buy cilantro instead of parsley (I did that one year), adding broth really moistens up the leftovers and remember; if you don’t like the dressing/stuffing, smother it with gravy!

I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving with your families and friends.

What name does your family use; Stuffing or Dressing?

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment