Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lean On Me


Forgive me for bragging, but I DO have the best girlfriends in the world. Most of them live out here in Gig Harbor, and have been “doing life” with me for the past 13+ years. Several are back in the Mid-west and have re-entered my life or stayed connected thanks to modern technology like Facebook.

Do you have friends that you can call anytime? Do you have friends that will pray for you, encourage you, hold you accountable and cry with you?

I've been thinking about the song lyrics from Lean On Me “Lean on me, when you’re not strong, I’ll be your friend, and I’ll help you carry on…" That song was very popular back in the mid-70’s when I attended Jr. High cheerleading camp at Valparaiso. Who knew I’d still be singing it in my head 30 years later?

Sometimes I'm the leaner, and sometimes it's my turn to give my shoulder to others (even if they are still in weak shape from my shoulder surgery).

The other day I was peeking at the newest kitties and puppies at our local pet store. I require an occasional “furry fix” since my fat cat is back in Illinois and my puppy dog died. All the kittens were asleep together in their litter box. (Kind of gross, yet sweet…) They were waiting to be rescued, adopted and brought to a loving home, but in the meantime they were snuggled up; comforting each other.

Real friends are like that. Sisters (and brothers) in Christ can help us through a rough patch and make things WAY more tolerable.

“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”
Galatians 6:2 NKJV

Lessons Learned: Lean on each other; that’s why Christ puts us in community, and when life makes us feel sort of “boxed in”, draw near (to God and each other).

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment