Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Reflections of Roma-Day Four; Totally Tourists


Everything about the way we looked on Wednesday screamed, "tourist"!!
We had on our Tides Tavern t-shirts that had been given to us by our Washington friends at our moving-away party. We wanted to have our picture taken in front of the Coliseum in the shirts and take it back to join all the other photos on the wall of the Tavern.

Tides Tavern has been featured in Coastal Living (see the May issue) for the BEST chowder and Halibut & chips.

Mike was wearing shorts and I was snapping photos. FYI-men in Italy don’t wear shorts unless they’re at the beach. Ask Nino-he knows

I loved the people watching. I loved seeing women riding their small motorcycles with dressy clothes. I noticed most women in Italy wear hose. After accidentally stepping on my fake tanning lotion in the hotel bathroom and squirting it all over my white shirt, I’m thinking maybe I should try to bring the hose fashion trend back to America.

It was a long walk but we made it to the Coliseum and were struck once again by how it just appears as we looked down an alley.

We didn’t go inside this time but looked up pictures and facts in our Rick Steves guide book.

The Forum was wonderful but don’t get your picture taken with the fake Roman Soldier unless you want to pay $$. Did I mention we were ignorant, trusting tourists?

The sun was shining in Rome on Wednesday and we stopped in several stores on the walk back. Due to the poor exchange rate between the Euro and the dollar, we didn’t do much purchasing other than food. I tried on some leather jackets but didn’t bring one back. My dreams of bringing home a purse, shoes, jacket and art didn’t come true but I have memories tucked in my head & heart to last a lifetime.

Although I was quite the tourist on Wednesday, I could certainly adjust to becoming an Italian local (except for the cigarette smoking…and I’d need to learn the language.) I loved stopping at little sidewalk cafes for a beverage.

Being in the city where so many of the early Christian history took place was so awe-inspiring. Looking at what man created thousands of years ago conjures up feelings a bit like looking at the amazing world that God created.

I’m thankful God gave humans the creativity to build and paint and make a city that is still standing even after thousands of years have gone by.
After seeing ceilings of gold in churches, it makes me even more anxious to see streets of gold someday in Heaven; I’m glad I won’t just be a tourist when I get there but a citizen.

Rev 21:21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass.


In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment