Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

My “One Word” for 2011


Have you heard about choosing one word as a theme for your year? I have been listening to the Christian radio station K-Love and I went on their website to learn more about it. Rather than having a bunch of resolutions, people choose one word that encompasses their goal for the year.

Two of my original ideas were simplify and others. The simplify idea came about when I realized that I’d be living with only the bare essentials in Washington so I thought a simple life focus was for me. Others came about because of the same notion; this year and a half apart from Mike is not about me. It is going to be about Sarah and serving others. Just like the book “If you give a Mouse a Cookie” I suddenly felt led to make service my word. I hope to spend my time in the Harbor giving more of my time to others in service.

How would I choose one word when so many fit? Well, after prayer I realized God has me on a JOURNEY and I’m not just talking the four hour flight out west. The dictionary definition of journey is: (1.a trip or expedition from one place to another 2. A gradual passing from one state to another regarded as more advanced, e.g. from innocence to mature awareness). Both those definitions describe my year to come.

My job is to obey and begin this journey without any expectations. I hope to learn JOY for the journey, PATIENCE for the journey, and have the mindset that it’s not the destination (18 months from now when I return to Mike full time) but the day by day living in the moment. I pray this journey draws me closer and closer to God.

Now you know my 2011 one-word;JOURNEY. If I had chosen a word for 2010 my word would probably have been change. Borrowing a phrase from Louisa, one of my Moms in Touch friends, my life has been a bit like "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride".

This year also looks to be one of change and adventure but with God in control I’m belted in and ready to begin my journey.

Have you thought about a word? Where is God taking you this year?

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment