Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

I am NOT the Conductor



Back when I was in Junior High, in Carmel, Indiana, I "played" the flute in our band for two years. I had heard a friend of my oldest sister play the theme song from Romeo and Juliet at a talent show and I decided then and there that I HAD to learn how to play it too! 

Photo source: Google.com
Playing this instrument did not come naturally. It took me practicing on the top of a Coke bottle just to make the sound. I kinda, sorta, learned the fingering enough to make my band teacher think I was reading and playing the notes, but I'm sure he knew better. (When you're a flutist, you sit in the front row so it's difficult to fake it.) 

Once I'd mastered the Romeo and Juliet song, and had met the requirement of two years (the school's rule, or my parents?) I quit the band. I did gain a few lessons though, that I started thinking about today on my walk after talking with a girlfriend.

This may or may not come as a surprise to those who know me, but it's been brought to my attention that I like to "orchestrate" things. As in...be in control of the outcome. I over think things and try to micro-manage relationships and basically attempt to direct as if I'm the conductor. 

In a symphony or band, the music is superior if the musicians are directed by a veteran conductor. You can read more about that here. He or she knows all the details. I, however, am NOT the conductor; in my family, or friend group, or life. 
I know who is... 
GOD

"The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives." 
Psalm 37:23

So, what other lessons am I learning?

  • I have a part to play in God's story, but it's not my job to control outcomes, I just need to participate. 
  • Rather than worrying about what others around me are doing or thinking, I need to focus on following the conductor.
"I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."
Psalm 16:8
  • Just as I should have spent more time practicing my music, and memorizing the fingering, I need to spend more time in and memorize the word of God.
  • If a Junior High band conductor can take a bunch of kids, some of whom have zero talent, and with time and patience use them together to make music, then our GOD can certainly be trusted with using little old me as a member of His masterpiece.
I am grateful for the nudge from a friend and the Holy Spirit today. Granted, I have some multi-tasking skills since I was a Kindergarten teacher and raised four children. If you ever see me pulling out the invisible conductor baton, you have my permission to remind me that it's not my job.


I will leave you with this beautifully played version of the song that initiated my short band career. I didn't ever sound ANYTHING like this, nor did I play a solo anywhere except my groovy bedroom. 


Alexandra Mukovnya (flute) - https://vk.com/id97736490


In His Grip,
xo Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment