Pages

Monday, June 11, 2018

35 years!


And just like that, 35 years have flown by!

As I researched a little on how daily life has changed over the last 35 years, I discovered a few interesting facts from 1983:
  • The first mobile phones were introduced by the Motorola Company. Remember how big they were, and that they had to be kept plugged-into the car lighter?
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi came out on the big screen.  (Yes, I know...we spent the day after our wedding in the movie theatre watching it. NOT my idea!)
  • Emmy 10th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for the 4th time.
  • The song "My Love" by Lionel Richie peaked at #5.
  • The Baltimore Colts relocated to Indianapolis. Our family got season tickets!
  • On a sunny, hot and humid day, 35 years ago a young girl named Jane Story became Mrs. Michael Carroll Carver.

The BIGGEST event in my world that year was becoming a wife. I had NO idea what marriage really involved, even though my parents had been married for 32 years and I'd been in both my sister's weddings. Back then I was focused on planning my storybook wedding and the fact that I really loved this guy named Mike who I'd only known for about six months. 

You can read more about how we met, etc. on a blog post I wrote a few years ago called "He's a Keeper." The restaurant where we met, "DALTS," is now only in the town of Nashville, TN. Glad I snuck this keepsake plate out when I did!


I was a bit disheartened when I read an article written by blogger Julian Abagond, who grouped marriage into a list of other things that are much less common then they were 30+ years ago... He wrote:
"Less common or gone: watches, boom boxes, Walkmans, record players, VCRs, video arcades, Woolworth’s, Jheri curls, Crazy Eddie ads, pay phones, telephone books, writing letters, marriage." 

Really? Apparently, it IS true. Read more here. I personally don't think a covenant relationship should be grouped with material items. 

I am thankful we've hung in there. Together we have celebrated 35 anniversaries including renewing our vows on our 10th (while pregnant with #4), raised 4 incredible kids, owned 4 dogs and 3 cats through the years, 9 homes, had many job changes (and a couple job losses), lots of moves, laughter, lean years, disagreements, tears, Mike's fall off the roof and recovery, surgeries and illnesses, celebrating our sons' weddings, some bad choices, counseling, grace, and through it all we've been hanging on to God and each otherWhich brings us to now...

"…a cord of three strands is not quickly broken. "ECCLESIASTES 4:12

We celebrated on Saturday with breakfast out, wine tasting in Woodinville, and a delicious dinner at Morso overlooking our beautiful Harbor. Oh, there was also a surprise gift of sparkle!!



We're excited to see what's next for our marriage adventure!

In His Grip,
xo Jane            Thanks for reading "See Jane Learn!"

















No comments:

Post a Comment