Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Shifting, Surprises, Questions and Even Some Marriage Advice


Apparently, the whole world has been experiencing wedding fever as the excitement over Harry and Meghan's nuptials grew into a frenzy. I LOVE weddings so since I couldn't watch the Royal Wedding last weekend, I finally had a chance to see most of it last night. Oh my! Megan was beautiful, (that veil!,) her Mom was so classy, Harry was smitten, the messages and music were perfect... I am that girl who watched Diana's, Sarah's, and Kate's weddings, I love watching The Crown and Victoria. I love all things British (except their food.) Perhaps that is what keeps those princesses thin-the unpleasant food options!




In our family, we only have 43 days until the wedding of our daughter. Her wedding dress arrived today, the invitations should be heading out soonish, and all the small details are starting to get accomplished. Besides working on wedding planning and gearing up for Bridal showers we've been rather busy around here.

We've packed, unpacked and packed some more: Since we decided to stay in our Harbor home, I've been trying to unpack the stored boxes in the garage. Our #3 son and his wife bought their first house and we went over to help them move this past weekend. Lots of packing, cleaning and carrying happened and we had a wonderful time participating in this exciting life event. They are settling in and it feels like home. 


Love my boy!


We've done a lot of shifting: 

Definition of shift https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shift

transitive verb


1to exchange for or replace by another change

2a to change the place, position, or direction of move
b to make a change in (place)



After I graduated from college and got a job, I bought my first car; a 1981 blue Toyota Celica. I loved that car. It had a stick-shift but I didn't know HOW to drive a manual. 


I remember my Daddy drove it off the car lot for me and spent many hours on the hill near our home giving me shifting lessons. Shifting gears takes practice and it never helps to get frustrated or impatient. Apparently, I remember that skill.



We thought we were moving to Spokane; shift and stay.

I had become accustomed to working retail; shift and become a Nanny. 

My husband studied to become a financial advisor; shift and return to medical sales management.

I had accepted the fact that I wouldn't be a Grandma for a few more years. Well, surprise! Our bride-to-be is expecting our first grandchild in November.  We made a shift from surprise to joy and we're very excited for this sweet addition to the Carver Clan. Thanks to Nannying baby Hazel, I feel way more prepared.

We considered turning our lower level into an air bnb, but now we are shifting to prepare for the newlyweds. Yep, more packing. Our youngest daughter and her fiance' have decided to move back over to the West side of the state right before their wedding. They're going to stay with us for several months before finding their own place. Our empty nest is about to be full. Did I mention that they have two cats and we have a cat and a dog? Hmmm...
Meet Mimosa who will be hiding.

 Layla May the crazy kitty

I chose wisely: 
As all these crazy days of packing, unpacking, shifting and surprises take place I am ever-mindful how blessed I am to have my husband.  Not only do I love him, but he is my best friend and helper extraordinaire.  Despite a new job and busy travel schedule he still manages to organize this family. 

If I may, here are some questions I believe women falling in love should ask themselves about their future lifetime mate:

Does he love God?
Will he be a fun addition to your family dynamic?
Will he be excited to plan the wedding with you and be THRILLED to find out he's becoming a Daddy? 
Does he have a good work ethic? Will he support you if you hope to be a stay-at-home mommy for a while?
Can he multi-task and is he good at logistics?
Will he drive five hours to visit kids on a regular basis?
Is he strong and capable of packing, loading UHauls and moving a billion times (for you and your children; homes, dorms, apartments, etc.)
Will he share air miles with all the kids when they want to fly home?
Does he help cook or wash dishes?

Our 35th wedding anniversary is coming up next month and it still amazes me that I got such a catch even though our "courtship and engagement" was only 6 months long. My husband continues to amaze me at the way he can navigate this season of encouraging and supporting our four young adult children. I had NO idea he would be so good at everything! Granted, he didn't want to watch the Royal Wedding at all and he isn't perfect...but pretty darn close! All those questions above can be answered with a YES by my husband.

(My two sons are following in their Dad's footsteps, and my daughter's fiance' has great qualities too.)

God obviously knew ALL the details we would be dealing with this Spring and thankfully He equips us one day at a time. Although I trustI still wake up during the night trying to figure out how I'll get everything accomplished. Ugh!

 "We may make our plans, but God has the last word."
Proverbs 16:1


This Memorial Weekend: My oldest and his wife arrive tonight, my daughters, daughter-in-law, and sisters arrive tomorrow and we'll be celebrating with Sarah at two Bridal showers. After all the fun parties next Saturday and Sunday, my sisters and I are headed to Oregon for a girl's get-away! It's our first sister trip ever!!



Is your month turning out busy too? Will you tune in to watch the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday? I am a born and raised Hoosier girl so listening/watching the race was a thing. Whatever you're up to on Memorial Weekend, please pause and remember our military men and women who lost their lives serving our Country.




As always, thank you for reading SJL and I love to read your comments.

In His Grip, 
xo Jane








SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment