Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

What I Learned This Spring

Lots of lessons learned and things discovered this Spring:

1. Graduations, kitties and babies bring family and friends together. 
My #3 graduated with his Masters Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy (T.J. is in the photo at the top, along with his sisters Sarah and Allie.) so we headed over to spend the weekend in Spokane, WA. While there we had lots of time around tables of food, met the newest kitty in the family (Layla) and bumped into a friend from our former church small group while visiting a newborn baby. 



2. We had the wettest weather in 122 years here in the Pacific Northwest. 
I really didn't need the news to inform me of this fact; I lived through it! SO not fun. SO sick of rain. SO realize that the East Coast was hammered with snow and there was horrible rain last month in the Midwest. BUT... we had relentless wet, gray days. UGH. We've finally turned a corner and had a warm, sunny Memorial Weekend!

3. Seattle's Governor passed a bill allowing sunblock to be allowed in schools without a doctor's note. 
Did you know this was an ongoing battle? Did you know that sweet kids often get sunburns at recess or field days because teachers haven't been allowed to apply sunscreen without a doctor's note because it is considered a pharmaceutical? As a fair-skinned blond who has had skin cancer twice, I say "good job!" I do think it's ironic that Washington is the State to issue this, considering our lack of ongoing sunshine. I am not sure if other states have passed similar bills.

4. Talking honestly about beauty and insecurity gets a lot of reactions. 
My little blog doesn't have many subscribers so I normally post a link on Facebook where I get much more "traffic." Back in March I wrote a post entitled Let's Get Real: About Beauty. You get check it out here. I got SO many people giving it a thumbs up or thanking me for being real. Golly, guess we all have a bit of insecurity. And then I remind myself that God looks at the heart... 1Samuel 16:7



5. Spring Break Get-Aways with adult daughters are so fun!
Between the desperate need for warmth and sunshine, plus wanting to spend time with my two daughters who teach on the other side of the State, we were excited to head South to San Diego. I wrote a three part series on our trip including food, what we did and where we stayed. Check out Part One, Part Two, and Part Three. Looking at all the pictures makes me want to go back!



6. One of my favorite Bible Study teachers/authors, has a famous Dad.

I am just finishing up the study "Armor of God" by Priscilla Shirer. It's SO good! I also enjoyed Priscilla as an actress in the Christian movie called "War Room." I watched it at our church's Women's Retreat. 


I did NOT know until page 127 of my study, that her father is Dr. Tony Evans, a well-known Pastor. That explains her passion and quest for knowledge and sharing the Gospel. I think it's impressive that she doesn't bring up his name or identity unless it's relevant. He was the first African-American to earn his doctorate in Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary. Here's one of his quotes that I love:


"Faith is acting like it is so, even when it is not so, so that is might be so, simply because God said so."

7. My Ancestry DNA results weren't quite what I'd hoped for...

My sweet husband gave me the kit for Christmas. All I had to do was spit in a little vile, send it in, and WAIT. I waited three months (they claimed a big Christmas rush) and finally got the email with the little pie-chart diagram of my origins. Here's what I got:
  •  75% Great Britain
  •  8% Scandinavia
  •  5% Italy/Greece

No offense Princess Kate, but I was really hoping for WAY more Norwegian to show up vs. Great Britain. Meh. I do have a tiny bit of Irish and Scottish blood, which is good! The results also concluded that my genetic communities settled in the Ohio River Valley. Yep, I was born and raised in Indiana. Would I recommend the DNA test? Well, if you're really curious and interested in your ancestry you might get more exciting results than I did. It was kinda pricey. I believe about $90. 

8. Mystery foot injury causes weight gain to dog (and me!)
I woke up a couple months ago with my foot throbbing. I might have strained it on a bench press machine at the YMCA. An X-ray didn't show a fracture, but I continued to limp and wasn't able to work out or take walks with my dog for about two months.  I finally began P.T. at the beginning of May and after three weeks of therapy I am much better! Due to my mysterious injury, not only did I gain five pounds, but my puppy dog is chubbier too! I am starting to take Sydney on walks again, and we're BOTH on diet food.


almost forgot about our dreadful Winter weather over the Memorial weekend since we enjoyed three days of summer-like warm temps and sunshine. When it is pretty here, it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth!


 "I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? 
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

Thanks for reading about my little corner of the world. (At the end of each season, I link up with Emily P. Freeman from "Chatting at the Sky" and other bloggers to share what we've been learning...)
What did YOU learn this Spring?

In His Grip,
xo Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment