Pages

Friday, May 26, 2017

A Bit of Bragging, Some Beef, and Babies!

A bit of rain couldn't dampen our smiles!

It's going to be a sunny Memorial Weekend here in the PNW and we are HAPPY about that! Let me start by acknowledging, thanking and remembering the men and women who are the reason we have a Memorial Weekend; those who died while serving in America's armed forces.

I was born and raised a Hoosier, so of course I'm thinking about the 500 Mile race too, which takes place on Sunday in Indianapolis. "Lady (only one woman this year) and Gentlemen, start your engines!!"


So I must brag. My third child graduated last weekend with his Master's in Family and Marriage Therapy and he is already employed. Successful Launch! At the moment he is in Sri Lanka, and then Nepal, studying the culture. It's his final class. Prayers for safety would be appreciated.


If you are a Mom of an elementary-high school son who is causing you anxiety due to his lack of motivation and/or desire to read or study, let me give you hope and encouragement. A LOT can change once your son goes to college. A LOT. My boy who didn't like to read and spent way too many hours playing X-Box. Now he's earned an Undergraduate and Graduate Degree from a stellar University (Whitworth), he LOVES to read, and he is passionate about helping others. He's also a husband and wonderful brother. My Mommy heart is just so full and proud.


About Beef: Our family has a tradition. Every time one of our four children entered college as a freshman and then again when they graduated, we all drove a half hour East of Spokane to the Wolf Lodge Inn Steakhouse in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. It's a "hole in the wall" spot with lots of taxidermy on the walls, but amazing steak, and rolls to die for. By the way, there is fish too, if you're not a Carnivor. With four undergrad and two graduate degrees to celebrate, we've been there ten times! Look through the sign-in welcome book for the Carver family!



Here are some pictures from last year when Sarah graduated:


That's our oldest son, Mitch, in the middle. He wasn't able to fly up from L.A. this time.

About Babies:
I was going to the Steam Plant Grill Friday afternoon and I discovered a Baby Boutique right next door called "French Toast Baby." Oh! So cute! Perhaps this was a sign that I'm not supposed to dream of moving to Spokane to be near my kids and opening a baby store...

I am a proud Grandma...of three kitties! My son and his wife have Walter and my youngest daughter has an eight year old rescue cat name Mimosa (Memo.)

 Walter did NOT want his picture taken.
This is Memo-I never actually saw her on this trip. She hid under the couch the WHOLE time!

Sarah decided she needed a kitten too, so meet Layla May! Oh my goodness she's adorable! We all had fun playing with her during our "TJ send-off brunch" at Sarah's apartment.





I also got the privilege of meeting a darling newborn human baby belonging to a friend's sweet daughter. Oh little Mary, you are perfect!

My friend Kimberly was in town too, so we got to catch up while we snuggled little Mary.

Other hi-lights of our trip to Spokane last weekend included dinner and stories at TJ and Katie's apartment, seeing Allie's cute spot (yep, 3 or my 4 kids live in Spokane) and watching the nighttime Lilac parade off the patio of our hotel. Night time parade plus cocktails? Win, win!


Of course we popped into two of my favorite places downtown on Sunday before leaving; Atticus, a coffee house with great gifts and Anthropologie. I was good, I didn't buy anything, I just looked!!

As I finish this post, I'm sitting out on my deck, listening to the birds chirp and the boats honk, sipping a glass of Rose' and munching on Trader Joe's pizza while I enjoy the beauty down in the Harbor. I am blessed. Thank you for taking the time to read "See Jane Learn" and I wish you all a joy-filled Memorial Weekend!



In His Grip, 
xo Jane

P.S. I want to give a shout-out and congratulations to my Omaha nieces Mattie and Nicole, and my nephew Connor, who are celebrating graduations this weekend. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment