Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

What I Learned in September...


It is wedding week in our family! Relatives have begun arriving, my oldest kiddos fly into SeaTac tonight, we drive over to Spokane tomorrow, and in three days my #3 child will morph into a married man!

I've had wedding-on-the-brain, but I did learn a few things in September and I'm linking up with Emily of Chatting at the Sky.

1. Nordrom customer service is the BEST! 
I knew it was good, but I got treated with above and beyond kind service. After two alterations on my "mother of the groom" dress, was still choking me. A wonderful sales associate named Kat, personally stopped at another store on her way to work, brought me a new dress, and had her favorite seamstress tweak it just a tad. The dress drama is over, and I am SOLD on Nordstrom service.

2. I agree with Michael Jordan; tags are annoying!
Tags can be bothersome. I almost wore my new sweater yesterday with the tag dangling from under my sleeve. Please notify me if you ever notice me out in public with a tag showing. The most annoying "tag" though, is the one on my cheek. It's a dermatologist term, but this thing on my cheek is called a tag. Apparently I should blame hormones. I refer to it as the ugly, annoying thing that I wanted my doctor to remove before the wedding but I forgot to call insurance to get pre-approved so the stupid little witch-looking thing will be at the wedding. (Yes, that was a run-on sentence, and yes, I'm praying the photographer uses photo-shop!)

3. I thought EVERYONE knew the "I see the moon" song.
We spent the evening of the Lunar Eclipse with our Life Group (church couples small group.) We won't see another one until 2033. I will be 74 years old... I will think back to the evening I spent with friends talking about God, studying the story of Joseph, praying, and looking in awe at the beautiful moon over Puget Sound. I asked my girlfriends if they sang "I see the moon" to their littles and NO ONE had heard of it! It was a "classic" in my childhood and I sang it to my four children. I couldn't find the exact version on you tube; I've been singing the wrong lyrics for 29 years! Sorry kids! Here is the lullaby and it is really sweet. My lyrics have an extra verse: "It seems to me that God above, created you for me to love. He picked you out from all the rest, because He knew I'd love you the best!"

4. History often repeats itself. 
I had Mono at my middle sister's wedding. My daughter just got diagnosed with Mono and she's in her brother's wedding. Oh, and did I mention she's supposed to sing and play guitar? She flies here from Nashville tonight. Please shoot up some prayers that she's no longer contagious, that she feels better, and that she can sing!

Five years ago when my oldest son got married, the soon-to-be groom was anemic and pale as a ghost. He weaved up at the front as a groomsman and almost fainted. Thankfully his Aunt Chris noticed and got him water, pretzels, and helped him sit down. My youngest has had some fainting issues lately and she's also a bridesmaid. We like excitement in our family...

5. I'm not "losing" a son, I'm gaining another wonderful daughter! 
This boy son of mine who is the groom; he is pretty special. I've been a bit melancholy thinking I am no longer his #1 girl. Silly me. I am and will always be his "Mama" and he has enough love to share with both of us!

Now I get to see him tenderly care for his beautiful wife and continue to grow as a man after God's own heart. And...I will have another beautiful, talented, loving daughter to enjoy spending time with. Win, Win!

 "This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one." Genesis 2:24

That's all for now! When I blog next my son and his new bride will be honeymooning in Hawaii and I'll be recovering and reminiscing about the fabulous celebration of two lives becoming one.

In His Grip, 
Jane



No comments:

Post a Comment