Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Mrs. Fixit is Grappling

If there is a Star Trek, Next Generation remake, I might audition for the role of Counselor Deanna Troi. Her task was to feel what people were going through (extra sensory empathy). I apparently have the same ability, although in the bible it is called the "gift of mercy." If I hear sad news I can immediately put myself in their shoes. I imagine what they’re going through and my heart hurts for them~it is physically painful.

I have been in pain for a local family ever since I discovered early Thursday morning that there had been a horrendous house fire Wednesday night on the other side of our island. A very large waterfront home was burned quickly to the ground. That in itself is terribly tragic, but there was also loss of life. The Mom and two children made it out in time... the father and an eight year old little girl did not.

Amidst this season of Joy a terrible, horrific event like this occurred and I can’t “fix” it. I couldn’t sleep Thursday night; even though I’d taken a sleep aide, my mind and heart were more powerful than the meds. I kept thinking about the survivors. Perhaps God needed me awake to pray? Praying didn’t seem like enough. 

I grappled with God. I know God doesn’t cause evil things to happen in our fallen world; He was just as devastated that his children died. But that is where I grapple. (One definition in the Webster dictionary is “to come to grips with: wrestle”.) Why couldn’t the whole family get out in time?
I am a fixer~sort of like the character in the Busytown books by Richard Scarry. If someone has a problem, I want to solve it. My hubby reminds me that it’s not my job to fix things and always be thinking up solutions. My job is to listen, trust, and point people to Jesus. He is the only one who can ultimately bring comfort and peace and he doesn't mind if we wrestle with him. 

Even in times of great sadness there can be moments of joy and laughter. I celebrated joy yesterday at a sweet baby girl’s one year birthday party. There is nothing cuter than a baby without a shirt on, diving into a chocolate cake! 
Life is a gift that we must cherish daily. Christmastime reminds all of us that the best gift EVER given was the sweet baby Jesus.

The outpouring of love for the Babson family has been tremendous. Gifts of money, clothes, items, meals and prayers have been flowing in. Please join me in praying for Dr. Babson’s family. You can find out more here.

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment