Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Two Weddings and the Wicked Cough: Part Two

"A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one." Mark 10:6-9

This is part two of my week in Indiana. The days were full and flew by and I survived on cough drops, tea with honey and Codeine cough syrup. I had dinners out, a lemon drop lunch with my oldest sister, shopping for rehearsal dinner decorations with my middle sister (the MOG-mother of groom), found great deals at a consignment shop where we took a big load of my Mom’s clothes, and I even wandered around the Fashion Mall for an hour all by myself. (Update: My steroids seem to be taming the wicked cough and thankfully my boss isn't planning on any drug testing!)

Each day I traveled from where we stayed to my Mom’s current home in about ten minutes zipping around Roundabouts in a very bright Kia Soul that we rented. How many Roundabouts are in Gig Harbor now, two or three? Well, in Carmel they are all over town!

I passed beautiful neighborhoods, the Monon Trail, two hospitals, shopping malls and churches. When I drive ten minutes from my home here on Fox Island I see a gas station, post office, two churches, at least 500 deer and one bridge repair but no stores, no schools and not a sidewalk or street lamp in sight. People in the suburbs of Indianapolis might have difficulty get accustomed to this lifestyle...

My sisters and I continued helping my Mom purge downsize her belongings since she's finally moving into a senior retirement center next month after waiting for years for it to be built. Lots of her friends will be there and she’ll even have a Pub downstairs~it sounds like some grandmas and granddads will be re-experiencing the college dorm lifestyle! It’s hard to take 80+ years of memories, treasures and stuff and shrink it down to what will fit into a one-bedroom tiny apartment. Going through that process has definitely made me want to organize, downsize, acquire less "stuff".  "Real life is not measured by how much we own..." Luke 12:13-21

Mid-week our small group got together again for a surprise birthday party. I loved how quickly we slid back into easy conversation and ended the night in prayer. My hubby and I have had the amazing blessing of belonging to small groups in Indiana, Illinois and here in Gig Harbor. We feel it's an essential part of our faith and marriage. Are you in a small group with friends who hold you accountable, encourage you, do life" with, and pray with?

The days were full and flew by and I survived on cough drops, tea with honey and Codeine cough syrup. I had dinners out, a lemon drop lunch with my oldest sister, shopping for rehearsal dinner decorations with my middle sister (the MOG-mother of groom), found great deals at a consignment shop where we took a big load of my Mom’s clothes, and I even wandered around the Fashion Mall for an hour all by myself. 

On our way downtown for the 2nd wedding, my hubby and I ate  at our favorite spot, Union Jack Pub~even better deep dish pizza than Chicago! Of course I spotted a sweet baby boutique right next door~I'm always on the lookout for new ideas we can use at Charlie Barnes Kids

My sister hosted the rehearsal dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery in the Billiard room. I totally recommend it for a venue. I was a private room with lots of space to visit. Even though I knew the tables where pool tables, guess who set her water glass “in the hole” and got drenched?!

My nephew was married at the downtown Sheraton and the reception room overlooked the city. The only thing missing from a very special night was that my four+ kids weren’t there~ way too expensive to fly my three youngest, and the Chicago-based couple couldn't get off work. Don’t you wish airlines gave family discounts for special occasions? 

My niece’s sweet daughter Story was the flower girl. ("Story" was my maiden name, love that!)


Once again it was hard to say goodbye to my Mom.  I only get to see her 2-3 times a year, plus knowing she’s moving made it extra hard... It took me awhile to adjust to not having my childhood home to go to, and now I won’t have her familiar small home either. Just like my kids, who have had to get used to home being where people you love live, I’m learning that too. 

Although I didn’t get to fly to Arizona this weekend, my college boy came home for his fall break, and  the weekend has been full and fun; dinner out, baby shower, going to our favorite Tacoma consignment shop Urban X-change, Steak, hot tubbing, couch time, cookie baking, pumpkin carving, tacos, and laughing over old family photos.
Every Mama knows, kids warm our hearts and trump sunshine!

I hope you enjoyed your weekend friends!

In His Grip, Jane



No comments:

Post a Comment