Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

We All Have Two Sides

“For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.” 
Romans 7:19

When my kids were little and my days were semi-crazy, I created and sang the song "I need a vacation... somewhere nice and warm!"  This week I've started singing that song again. It's partly due to gray skies and rain, partly due to circumstances beyond my control and mostly due to my lack of patience where a certain furry member of our family is concerned…

My sweet lovable two-year old is a bully. At home she is good as gold. Whenever I take her in public she is horrible to whoever she meets. She lunges and barks like she’s going to tear them apart. (I am talking about my rescue puppy…)

I know Sydney’s trying to protect me in her own mixed-up way, but maybe it also has to do with insecurity. Rather than risk being the underdog, she’ll be aggressive and mean… (I will continue to try to give her opportunities to socialize so she can practice the skill of being nice around others.)

The other day when she barked at the sweet neighbor’s dog, Emma Watson, (don’t you love that name?), I SNAPPED. I yelled SO loud I scared the dogs! I was completely embarrassed that I acted that way in front of another pet parent. Have you ever "lost it" in public?

I have two sides; the patient Mama and the pulling her hair out-turning purple-yelling Mama. When I taught Kindergarten I was patient, but with my family lately, not so much...  Then again it’s been awhile since I've had a two year old  puppy and a college freshman at the same time.

The other day at bible study I didn't know my leader sheet had two sides. I was asking questions from the wrong side.

Lots of things have two sides, even dogs... A little naughty. A little nice. 

My Mom used to say, "look for the good in people." Basically she meant that everyone has moments when they might just be a bit “turned around” to the not-so-nice-side. People who are hurting often lash out more quickly.

Let's keep in mind that almost everyone has a back-story. People who aren't the easiest to be around might just be having a bad day (haven't we all?) or perhaps they're feeling insecure (my rescue puppy.)

"But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners."
Romans 5:8

The next time we encounter someone who falls under the category of E.G.R. (extra grace required,) what if we extended unearned grace, love and understanding?

In His Grip, Jane

Photo sources: istockphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment