Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Naptime News

My Mom is taking a short rest, so I will catch you up on thoughts I’ve had since arriving in Indy.

The color of the week is brown. I had heard my family talk about the weather and the drought in Indiana and the Mid-west, but now I’m seeing with my own eyes. I left the green trees and yards of Western Washington and have arrived to brown. It’s against the law right now to water lawns here. Farmers have lost their crops. It is hot, sticky, and brown… Since I arrived in central Indiana two days ago it has rained twice but only for about ten minutes. I seem to bring the Seattle weather wherever I travel-ha! The rain also brought lightning and storm damage. But still…the ground is so hard that water can’t soak in. The government has declared this area a disaster; I pray that the farmers can recover in the future and look to God for their hope.

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:7-8

I am too old for the “red eye”. In order to use free American Airline mileage points it took three planes to bring me to my destination. Seattle to Las Vegas, Vegas to Chicago (during the night)), and then Chicago to Indy. I thought Vegas never sleeps, but the airport stores do! Around midnight it's impossible to buy a snack. I also thought planes flying during the night were supposed to be dark and quiet “sleep friendly” flights. Not! They showed a movie. It’s a good thing I brought my Sweet Dreams eye mask to block out the light. I’m sure I looked ridiculous…It’s official-I AM a princess. Just like the fairy tale of the Princess and the Pea, I have the royal ability to know when I’m sleeping on an object. I just couldn’t get comfortable on my Mom’s couch when I awoke during the night. Then I remembered that she stored her pretty silver serving tray under the cushions. Interesting…

I don’t usually start my day with T.V. news, but when I got up to pop in the shower my Mom had the Today Show turned on. I saw what took place at the movie theater overnight and my heart and prayers go out to Colorado. Events like this horrible shooting certainly put my uncomfortable flights, the lumpy couch and the water shortage in perspective. May you find joy in the Lord today, and hug your loved ones...

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment