Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Snippets From Glen Ellyn

 It's a fact. I am a hoarder! Please don't contact the show...  Last night I got around to sorting the paperwork I'd stored at the Gig Harbor studio apartment I lived in this fall, and what I'd had in our Illinois white house. I threw away the following snippets of the time I spent in Glen Ellyn: the Glenbard West High school handbook (phew, glad that's over) library card, grocery cards, Binny's liquor store membership (remember I like Cosmos & Margaritas?) and flyers of B & B's I had hoped we'd explore in the Midwest. I also found a LOT of address labels; we don't live on Ray Nash  or Sawyer Ave anymore, so they got tossed too.

I'll keep what matters from the Glen Ellyn months of my life; lessons learned, fun memories, contact numbers of the new friends I made in our neighborhood and church, and pounds gained eating at the plethora of restaurants we had near our home (well, hopefully I can lose those-ha!)

Letting go...moving on. It's hard for me to believe a month ago I was in Illinois packing and cleaning and walking to town. Now I'm unpacking, I should be cleaning, and I'm getting used to the drive from our corner on the island into town.
 
Why, oh why do I have so many boxes of "stuff"? Why have I been carting boxes across the country filled with toys for future grandchildren, decor I don't love, board games we don't play? Why don't I just toss it, decide to donate it all to Goodwill or attempt to earn some money  selling  on Craig's List? I want to be a minimalist, yet I hang on to things I might need someday...
In two days it will be Good Friday. Jesus willingly gave up everything for me (and you). I think it's time for me to give up more of the stuff I've been hoarding  for my earthly future and focus on the here and now as I prepare for eternity.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

My cell phone rang twice this morning and it was a (630) number. My former doctor's office says it's time for my physical. I guess that reminder means I need to choose a new local doctor since Dupage Medical group in Wheaton is a bit too far to commute-and I think Fox Island is a long drive! Addresses, area codes, zip codes...my world and numbers keep changing. One thing remains the same and constant~God.

In His Grip, Jane
 
If you know anyone looking for a cute studio apartment in Gig Harbor, contact me-it's available.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment