Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Family Friday: Look Out Costa Rica!


“You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.” Isaiah 55:12

Knowing helps. Thanks to a voice-mail I found on my cell phone this morning, I know that my daughter Allie has arrived safely in her new home-away-from-home country of Costa Rica. Allie and her best friend of 13 years are taking advantage of a wonderful opportunity, and will be student teaching this fall at Lighthouse International School in Escazu.

Whitworth University has a satellite campus down in Costa Rica. It is about an hour from the capital of San Jose’. It used to be a hotel and now it can house 30 students.

The girls are at the campus for a little while and then will be moving in with a host family in the city of Escazu. It is an upscale city with lots of restaurants, modern shopping, and even an IMAX theater. It’s known for its scenic outlooks and appears to get more rain than San Jose’ (Growing up in drizzly Gig Harbor hopefully prepared them for the upcoming rainy season.)

I love that they’ll experience a new culture, live with a retired Abuela (grandma) and Abuelo (grandpa) who speak Spanish, but get to teach in an English-speaking school. My musically talented girl brought her guitar; I hope she’ll get lots of opportunities to play for her class. Allie has spent much of her teacher training in the early grades but this time she’ll be with 6th graders.She has a big heart for kids and loves science and reading.

Thirty years ago I student taught 3rd grade at the elementary school in Carmel Indiana that I had attended as a child. I lived at home with my Mom and Dad. Most of the staff knew our family. I remember my mentor teacher, Millie Spilly, was terrific, and I enjoyed my class. Not quite the student teaching experience my daughter is about to have...Except for crossing the border into Tijuana and up to the Canadian border, I never traveled out of the country when I was young. Would I have gone if money wasn’t an issue and the opportunity arose? Probably not. I grew up quite the homebody-I was even afraid to go to sleepovers! Thanks to my hubby I have traveled to Mexico, Canada and Europe twice. I might even live overseas someday...

Allie has been on mission trips to Mexico and Jamaica, camps in Canada, school in England and spent time with friends exploring Europe. I admire my adventurous daughter. Where did she get her fearless spirit? (Probably partly from her Air force-brat Daddy who lived all over the place but mostly from our Lord who challenges her to “go and make disciples of all the nations.” Matthew 28:18)

I’m so proud of the young woman my oldest daughter has become and whether or not she ends up becoming an elementary teacher, I am excited for her to have this semester “abroad”. We sent her with a can of Mace Pepper spray, lots of prayers and all our love. Her adventure begins!

Look out Costa Rica! Here comes Senorita Allison Grace Carver!!

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment