Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Patience, Princesses and Magical Memories


Lucky me! A couple weeks ago I got to return to the “Magic Kingdom”! It had been 16 years since I had been down in Orlando, walking into the place where memories are made. Some things have changed; others are exactly as I remembered.

As usual it was packed with people from all over America and the world. Parents tried to entertain hot, tired, cranky children in long ride lines. The food consisted mainly of fries and ice cream and everyone was spending WAY too much on souvenirs such as character pins. Kids (and some adults) wore a ribbon lanyard around their necks, filled with character pins that they purchased for ONLY $6-$10 apiece.

The last time I had been in Disney World we had brought our oldest son and daughter and they were six and eight years old. We met lots of princesses and characters at a meal in Cinderella’s castle. Apparently that’s where princesses hang out because we never saw any this trip. We thought our 17 and 22 year old daughters didn’t really need the character lunch but we were disappointed not to see Cinderella! (Other than Mickey Mouse I think Cinderella is who best represents Disney World, don't you?)

After a day of rest by the pool we headed to Universal Studios to the brand new Harry Potter World. Since I haven’t even read the books and have only watched the first movie I was strictly an “I’m here to watch the joy on my daughter’s faces”. They LOVE all things Harry Potter. I felt like an alien as people waited hours to get a glass of butter-beer and watch the magic wand demonstration. Although I know the books are about witchcraft, luckily there wasn’t a dark, evil feeling in the park. Families were just enjoying seeing with their eyes, what they had read about and imagined from the pages of the books.

Toward the end of our second long day maneuvering through an amusement park I was feeling a bit un-amused by the crowds and long waits that ended in rides that weren’t quite as fun as we had anticipated. It was worth it though, to see my girls having special time together in sunny weather and to hear their laughter.

Back in “real life” there are days when it’s hard to be patient and wait upon the Lord. Some days are NOT fun, and I dream of escaping to a magical land.We all are expected to keep our eyes focused on Heaven and know that “if we look forward to something we don’t have yet, we must wait patiently and confidently.” Romans 8:24-25. Unlike Disney World or Universal Studios, Heaven is going to be more than I can even begin to dream about. “And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light.” Revelation 21:23

Stephen Curtis Chapman is one of my favorite Christian musicians and last week I got to go to his concert and hear his family's testimony. Tragically his little five year old daughter was struck by a car in the spring of 2009 and went to live with the Lord. Stephen sang his song “Cinderella” about making time to dance with his daughters as they grow up. He is confident that someday he’ll be reunited with his daughter Maria in heaven and they’ll dance once more. I was reminded again how precious my time with my sweet daughters is (and my sons) and that I need to make memories while keeping my eyes on Jesus and what is to come in eternity.

1 comment:

  1. you said it! it was a dream, but only just that. i wondered how that was possible to step out of reality for a moment and soak up such fun family time in the sun...i still don't know how it was possible. but i am thankful all the same. thank you for the memories! i still haven't gotten the pictures up or developed, whoops.

    ReplyDelete