Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Becky’s Closet


My friend Becky always makes me smile. She laughs at herself and her laugh is infectious. Despite the fact that she’s beautiful (on the outside and inside) and looks good in just about anything, she depends on others to help her decide what clothes and accessories look flattering on her. “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.” 1Peter 3:3-4

We middle-aged “girls” want to look our best and enjoy new clothes so its fun to share our latest fashion “finds” with each other. Every time I’m at Becky’s house I get a fashion show. At every get-together I’ve been to, we end up in Becky’s closet to see her latest purchases, give her our honest opinions and help her choose what to keep. (And my husband thinks I do a lot of returns!!)

As a community of believers, God wants us to be encouraging to others in our faith walks. We need to spur one another on, challenge each other to use our gifts to further God’s kingdom and occasionally tell the truth in love even when it hurts. We can do that best by really getting to know our friends well enough to be invited into their “closets”. “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.” Hebrews 10:24

This past week when I was back visiting my Northwest friends I not only got to enjoy time in Becky’s closet, but I also spent time in a Loft dressing room with dear friends. (I’m not sure the store was used to three grown women having that much fun trying on outfits!) Not only that, but over cups of coffee and glasses of wine my friends spoke truth to me about some tough things I’m wrestling with. Maybe it wasn’t always what I had hoped to hear, but it was God’s love and wisdom poured out.

A couple days later I popped into Target and found the same darling dress that Becky had modeled for me! When I wear it I’ll think of her and all the fun we had. (I heard once that copying is a sincere form of flattery...)

I think “Becky’s Closet” would be an adorable name for a clothing store. I envision a boutique that you go to with close girlfriends where the sales help is kind but truthful and where you always leave smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment