Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The LONG Goodbye

The sun was shining this morning so I decided to take my puppy dog and I on a walk around the neighborhood. (It’s been a LONG time since I’ve taken a walk due to not feeling well, but my health has improved and my body & mind knew it was time to put on my Pumas and plug in my I-Pod.) Sadie and I had been enjoying ourselves for about 15 minutes when I bumped into two dear friends out for their walk.God knew I needed encouraging words from friends, and their offer to hold up our family in prayer.

Before I knew it, tears were streaming and I was filling them in on all the things weighing heavy on my heart. Besides saying goodbye to this town, our church and all my treasured friends,it hit Mike and I that we only have two more weeks with our son before it will never be the same. He's staying here to work this summer, then starting college here in Washington in the fall. Except for seeing him for his brother’s wedding this summer, we’ll only be together on holidays from here on out.We've sent two others off to college but this just feels different since he'll be coming "home" to a place he's never even seen and he won't know anyone in town except us. As I was going through boxes of treasures and toys in the attic, I was flooded with memories of our little boy who is now 6’3” and living on bagel bites and Taco Bell.

Everywhere I go I see people I feel the need to say goodbye to, and places I might never go to again. We’ve known about this impending move since January and it’s just been one long goodbye. When Jesus told the fisherman to “Come follow me” they at once dropped their nets. When Sarah was being obedient to her husband Abraham who had great faith in God I bet she didn’t have six months to clear out her tent and say her goodbyes. The people who say moving is as stressful as a death in the family are right… I’m grieving this goodbye but look expectantly to the future and claim the promise in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not too harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

If you see me around town in the next two weeks with tears in my eyes, now you’ll know why…

1 comment:

  1. Jane!!!!
    You have all been in my thoughts and prayers sooo much!!! I love all your posts!! They are very encouraging and uplifting--I love it that when God has us stressed out is when He uses us the most, if we are tuned into Him--obviously you are!! Love ya girl! Looking forward to opportunities to be with you more! Let me know if there is anything I can do on this end of life. love ya, Amy Gardner

    ReplyDelete