Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

What I Learned in September


Every day I'm learning new things; I Google out of curiosity, read books and magazines (and lots of blogs) and God is always teaching me things through his word and the people he puts in my life. September was a lovely month here in the Northwest and here are the lessons learned that stood out to me:

1. Don't put your dog on Steroids for an allergic reaction the week after moving into a new home. Poor Sydney. She couldn't control her bladder, and like a senior, she'd tinkle a bit every time she stood up and not even realize it! We'll be shampooing our carpets again soon...

2. Spend the extra money to buy good flea meds, not generic. If you buy a cheaper version rather than Frontline, you will give your dog a BAD reaction which sends you to the Vet (Over $200 later and did I mention the accidents on our carpet?...) The book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie comes to mind.


3. If you turn 21 on a Monday, you will discover that the DMV is closed which means you can't get your new Driver's License. Yes, this happened to my baby girl. She did manage to have several legal cocktails due to understanding bartenders in Spokane. She's finally legal! 

4. I was intrigued by the meanings of my first and last names. I can't remember what made me want to look up the meanings but Jane means "gift of God or Jehovah is gracious" (thanks Mom and Dad!) and my maiden name Story means "dweller by large and rough water." (This fits since we live right by Puget Sound, but I grew up in the Midwest where the only water was a creek. Plus Story is my middle name now...)

5. The latest Rite Aid commercial is reminding me I probably should go get a flu shot. When I taught Preschool and Kindergarten I usually got one. Now that I spend my days in a baby store where little ones come and go and the general public touches lots of our pretty things I probably should do more than frequent hand-washing to protect myself from germs.

6. The series "Outlander" on the Starz network is timely! I found it ironic that last week there was a vote over in Scotland to decide if they would separate from the United Kingdom and the "Outlander" TV show incorporates the fight for freedom back in 18th century Scotland. (Along with  featuring time-travel and romance.)

7. I don't need to participate in "National Coffee Day." Apparently there was a day set aside for coffee this week and I didn't hear read about it until bedtime. No worries... every day is coffee day for me. My mornings always include a big mug of Pike Place blend brewed at home with a mixture of hot 1% milk and fat free half & half. 

8. Yesterday I found "TDN" on my laptop, which stands for "The Design Network." I can watch short videos (usually under 5 minutes) about decorating or cooking. Three of my favorites are "Holiday Decorating with Girls with Glasses," "The Lettered Cottage," and "Entertaining with Beth." 

9. I have discovered one of my unofficial roles: to change the rolls in bathrooms! Everywhere I go I seem to be the one who needs to replace an empty toilet tissue roll with a new, full one. I might be at home, at work, or at a friend's home. I'm really not exaggerating. Almost every day I seem to be replacing a roll somewhere. Perhaps I'm like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz who felt it was his job to oil all the squeaky gates with his oil can. I hope I'm taking care of a small task that makes life a bit easier for the next person. 


"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." Helen Keller

10. Great Champagne doesn't have to be expensive. One of our local restaurants always greets their customers with a free glass of bubbly and it's really delicious. The waitress shared where we could find their brand ($8 a bottle) and so I headed over to Tacoma to buy some in case we had reason to celebrate. About one day later, we received the news that our Nashville daughter had found a job. Certainly an answered prayer that deserved to be toasted. We're super excited that she gets to come here for a visit next week before her new job begins! Good thing I bought a second bottle!


Did you have moments worthy of celebrating? Learn any new random facts? I'm linking up with Emily P. Freeman at Chatting at the Sky. I'd love to hear about things you've been learning.

In His Grip, 
Jane       Thank you for stopping by See Jane Learn.
xo









No comments:

Post a Comment