Pages

Monday, December 3, 2018

What I Learned This Fall


Happy December! Only 22 more days until Christmas! Our family is rejoicing over our own little gift from heaven; Gracelyn Love Vanderlinda, who arrived on November 20, eight days past her "due date." I'll share more details below. In just a few hours she'll be a whopping two weeks old!

I'm joining Emily P. Freeman and other bloggers, to share "What I learned this Fall." Below are nine things I learned:



Our town has free lending libraries just like in "Chesapeake Shores!" If you've watched the Hallmark series, you know I'm talking about the cute little book holders where people donate a book and take a book. I love this more than schlepping over to Half Price Books in Tacoma hoping to get a bit of money for my books. If your town doesn't have them yet, check out this post on how to make one.

Photo source: Pinterest
Hazelnut shells keep slugs away!
While looking for some new plants at a nursery for our side yard, I noticed hazelnut shells were surrounding the potted plants and trees. They are a chemical-free solution to a big problem here in the PNW. 

Don't judge too quickly:
While in Spokane this Fall, I went shopping with my son. We put money in the parking meter and were floored when we came out and found a ticket on our windshield even though we still had time left.


I snapped photos "for proof" and we went in search of the mean/misguided traffic policeman. Well, we found him and we plead our case. He listened patiently, and then calmly explained that the ticket was given because my son's license plate tabs had expired-back in February! Yikes...

The Fall purse search is over! 
I have a hard time finding a purse due to my must-haves. Do you call them purses or handbags? I don't really like the designer's name on the outside of the bag (unless it's a Kate Spade, which I can't justify spending that much on...) I do need it to be of a small-medium size, it must zip closed, and I want both wrist handles and a cross-body strap. I know that my list can be challenging on a budget. Trust me, I've been on the lookout since my birthday in August. I was in Kohl's last weekend picking up nursing bras for my daughter (great place to buy them!) and I took a peek in the accessories department. I looked for a while before spotting "the one" in the clearance section. It had all the necessary criteria, was marked down from $69 to $20, and Lauren Conrad kept her name inside. Score!

Missing church leads to missing church:
For various reasons, or perhaps excuses or laziness, I've missed three or four Sundays at my church home. This is unusual for me. I LOVE worship and my husband and I have been regularly attending for the last thirty years of our marriage. Anyhoo...whatever kept me away left me feeling unsettled during the week. Something wasn't right. Duh, I hadn't spent intentional time in the presence of God with my church family. Whoever claims they are a "believer" but doesn't really show up to join others to worship and hear the word taught, is only hurting themselves. I MISS it when I miss. Advent started yesterday, and I loved seeing our Sanctuary gussied up with beautiful trees and lights to honor the birth of Jesus. (Our Tuesday morning lifegroup had fun decorating it together last week.) If you don't have a "spot" to call your own, I hope you'll consider popping into Chapel Hill on a Saturday night or Sunday morning to get to know Jesus. We'll all do our best to make you know how welcome you are!


There are LOTS of go-into-labor suggestions:
My daughter was eight days overdue when the baby arrived. She never did end up going into labor but needed an unplanned Cesarean. As the days marched on past her due date, she was given lots of interesting ideas. Did any of the following work for you? Eat fresh pineapple...eat salty meat like salami...run or crawl up and down stairs...do deep-knee bends...play music down near your private area...

Her name fits:
My sweet Grandchild was named Gracelyn Love and she was born at 12:08 early on a Tuesday morning. She is SO loved and her first name is a version of her Great Grandma Grace and the middle name of her Mommy's sister. She is already bringing our family so much joy! I smiled when I reread  this old poem:


[Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
 Friday's child is loving and giving
  Saturday's child works hard for his living
 And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.] 

My favorite view has changed in the last two weeks:
It used to be the view out my window. I love the Harbor, mountains, trees, and boats. 





Now I prefer to spend all my time gazing at my Grandbaby's sweet face. Isn't she adorable? 



Despite everything, God is STILL in control:
Things have seemed a bit out of control lately. My Mom was put on hospice back in August, and yet she's still on Earth and she just celebrated her 92nd Birthday. I thought for sure my daughter would deliver her baby by her due-date, and SHE thought she'd be in the Midwifery building when the time came, not the OB/ER. The citizens of Anchorage did NOT expect to end their Fall with a massive Earthquake last Friday. The people of California did not think the wildfires could move so quickly and devastate so many. 

We all have hopes and expectations that don't always line up with circumstances and our reality, but we can trust that God is with us through it all and knows how the story ends. Sending prayers to all who've been affected by the recent natural disasters.

What did you learn this Fall?

In His Grip,
xo Jane






No comments:

Post a Comment