Pages

Friday, November 2, 2018

Lessons from the Furry Ones


Happy November! We are in THE month. I've been waiting for this calendar month since my daughter surprised me with the news that my first Grandchild would arrive in November. Her due date is the 11th...we're all still waiting for the little one to make her appearance.

Our nest currently contains myself, my husband Mike, our youngest daughter, and her husband, along with their two cats who live in the lower level of our home, our rescue dog Sydney and our rescue cat Thor.

Whether you are the parent of humans or pets, if you have more than one, then I imagine you've noticed how very different their personalities and behavior can be. Let's take a closer look at the four furry animals currently living under one roof:

Since the downstairs kitties are not allowed outdoors, it's easy to see how different life is for our free-to-roam Thor. Memo and Layla, the indoor kitties, spend their days moving from bed to couch, waiting for their parents to come downstairs or sitting by the window, wishing they could go explore. Mimosa, Memo for short, has trust issues but is very happy curled up in her "Mom's" lap or hiding in her Igloo.



My cat Thor spends his nights' hunting. Thor often brings the mice or birds he catches into the garage right by the door so we can see how talented he is. I even found a dead mole in the glass recycling. Ugh! After eating a bit of kibble in the garage for breakfast he joins me for a morning snuggle on the couch while I drink my coffee and have my quiet time. He then takes over the dog bed or climbs up in his "condo" to nap until it's time to remind me he wants his wet food dinner.




Which brings us to Sydney the rescue dog, who should have been named Nervous Nelly. I will start off by saying she is very cute and very loyal. But... she spends her days shadowing me, desperate for attention, begging for walks, chewing on her pink flamingo toy Lola, or chewing on herself. I even had to put the dreaded cone on her since she chewed herself raw. The anti-itch prescription meds she requires are $100 for 45 days!




When we do go on walks, she isn't content staying near me; she always strains on her leash and acts aggressively toward any other dog.


Yoga with goats might be a "thing" but it's not as fun with my dog. Thor could care less, but Sydney is her usual stressed-out self. Sydney just can't relax!


 “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

So, I think we can learn a few things from these furry family members:

The girl kitties downstairs aren't living their dream life, but they are content in their circumstances.

Under NO circumstances should any dessert item be left out on a counter. Sydney WILL jump up if left alone and eat ALL the goodies and usually part of the Ziploc storage bag too! Muffins! Cookies! (She obviously is addicted to sugar, and is a visual snacker with a big nose,  just like her pet-mama.)
Sydney is a people-pleaser and constantly needs attention. She should remember she is given grace even when she misbehaves and always will be taken care if. I do give her credit for sticking close to her "master."

Thor is living his cat-life as he was created to be. He never feels guilty about killing, since that instinct was placed in him, and he never feels guilty about resting after a busy night. He is bold and sure of who he is, and he then feels confident and secure in my love.


I'd like to be more like my cat. Not the killing part though. I want to live my life as the Jane that God created me to be; loving others, secure in my identity as a follower of Jesus, tender-hearted yet tough when I need to be, and always caring more about God's opinion rather than being a people-pleaser.

Do you have some furry family members who are teaching you some "Pet Parables?"
I will leave you with a quick video of our daughter's cat, Layla. Is she begging or praying??



Enjoy your weekend, and thank you for taking the time to read "See Jane Learn!"

In His Grip,
xo Jane






No comments:

Post a Comment