Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

What I Learned This Winter



Before I turn in on this "Fat Tuesday" I'm looking back at some of the things I've learned over the past three months. 

1. Just GO:
When my Mom (who is 90) was admitted into the hospital back in January I had a few days of battling internally whether or not I should fly back to Indiana quickly. After four days and lots of prayers, God gave me clarity and that evening I was on a "Red Eye" headed East. I'm SO glad I went! We had great faith talks, I got to spend time with family, and thankfully I was there to see her condition improve. She's now back in her independent apartment! I have zero regrets about deciding to drop everything, cancel weekend plans to go see three of my kids, and purchase a plane ticket. I should have remembered that my word of the year is NOW! (I wrote about my word here.) Don't hesitate if your heart nudges you...just GO!






2. I learned current hospital vocabulary: E.D. vs. E.R.
Someone needs immediate emergency medical attention; where do they go? In the past it was called the E.R. (emergency room) but apparently it is now referred to the E.D. (emergency department). Names can get confusing. See #3.

3. There are two ways to spell my nickname:
My name is Jane. Pretty simple, and even though I'm not a good speller, I can handle my four letter name. (The name Jane is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Jane is: Gift from God.) 

Family members and close friends often use my nickname. Growing up, my  family always spelled it  J-a-n-i-e , but lately, I've noticed people spell it 
J-a-n-e-y when they write me notes. My husband even spelled it with a Y on my Valentine's card envelope! What should I do?... What looks correct?... What would YOU do if you were me?... 

4. We're having fun cooking together:
We joined Hello Fresh right after Christmas and have been ordering three meals about two or three weeks per month. The food is indeed fresh and healthy and very tasty. The recipes are easy and fun to prepare and my husband often makes dinner; it's his way to unwind after a busy day on the phone or traveling for work. We've really cut back on our trips to the grocery! 


Photo source: http://www.splendry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/hello-fresh-cover.jpg

5. Do not let a repeating ad on your computer suck you in...
A photo advertisement of a coffee sweatshirt kept popping up every time I was on social media. It was from Shein. After a couple weeks I decided to order it.



Do you notice how cropped the sweatshirt looks in the picture? Guess what? It IS that short! This 50+ "girl" will not be wearing my new top out in public. (Too much trouble to return it and it was cheap.) Perhaps it's extra motivation to work on my core?...

6. Snow in Western Washington always shuts everything down.
There are just too many hills, not enough plows and salt trucks, and definitely not enough drivers who know how to operate a car when there is snow and ice on the roads. Schools gets closed. Charlie Barnes where I work even closed one day! So pretty...



I finally got Sydney out for a run in the park at dusk.

7. Mistakes happen:
We ALL make mistakes (well, all except Jesus.) Some mistakes are just seen by more people than others. If you watched the last five minutes of the Oscars, you know what I'm talking about. "What have you done Warren?!"

8. You can have a "Fat day" on any day of the year, not just Mardi Gras:
Thanks to my wonderful husband, I had a "Fat Sunday." I wasn't feeling super after church and he brought me a MacDonald's Shamrock~Chocolate milkshake and a Mac Jr. and small Fries too. THAT friends, was very unhealthy as far as nutrition goes, but quite healing to my sore throat and very much love-in-action.

Thanks for reading about my little corner of the world. What did YOU learn this winter? I'm linking up with Emily P. Freeman at Chatting at the Sky. 

In His Grip,
xo Jane



 

No comments:

Post a Comment