Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Did You Get My Message?


Messages matter. Back-in-the-day, when my kids were younger and cell phones didn't text, I was queen of notes. Whenever I left the house, a note would be on the counter telling my family where I was going, what they could snack on, etc. I always signed them with a "Love, Mommy xo."

Apparently my four children were watching my habit of note-writing. My kids are good about connecting with a text or a note on the counter if they're home for a visit.

It's always a good thing to stay informed by our people. Knowing is better than guessing.

My hubby and I often communicate with texts. It's quick. It's handy. One of his former co-workers put post-it notes all over his car dashboard so he'd know all the hospitals he'd be visiting for work. His old-school system worked for him.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I watch Pretty Little Liars on Netflix. I know, right?! I'm half-way through 50 and I watch a show for high school and college girls. I started watching it with my youngest daughter when she was in high school and it sucked me in... She no longer watches it but I have to see who "A" really is. The show centers around text messages being sent back and forth between the four friends as they work together to solve the mystery. Last night a simple "S.O.S. Emily's" had them quickly meeting up at one girl's bedroom.


Photo source: etreradieuse.com

Group texts are pretty convenient. I can message my kids or sisters at the same time. I love the banter between siblings. Yesterday morning I sent a group text to my prayer buddies and within five minutes I knew my sisters-in-Christ were praying for my son's Graduate School interview.

Occasionally though,  I'll miss a message...

Case in point: Last night I fixed my hair and make-up, and changed out of sweats. My hubby was still on a business trip so a friend and I were going to go out to grab a bite. The whole time, my cell phone was out in the kitchen, waiting for me to read the text that said "sorry, can't do dinner tonight."
I could have stayed in my sweats!!  I did enjoy a delicious Pot Pie and glass of Big Bold Red.



Messages (texts and notes) are meant to be read as soon as possible to keep you informed.

The Bible is God's message to us. SO many encouraging notes and loving advice from our Father to us, his people. Since His word has been translated into lots of different versions, we get to choose a way that speaks to our hearts.

Usually I read my ESV (English Standard Version) or New Living Testament. I learn more if I follow it up by reading Eugene H. Peterson's The Message, which is written in today's contemporary language.

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Matthew 7:13-14 ESV 

"Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easy-going formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life~to God!~ is vigorous and requires total attention."
Matthew 7:13-14 The Message
Picture source: Christianbook.com

Whether you choose to remain an old-school post-it note person, or have become a mod texting person, God's word can send us messages at just the right time.  Just like it helps to check our phones for new messages, we need to keep our bibles handy and opened and read with regularity!

How do you communicate with your "people?" 
Have you received a new message from God lately? 
What's your favorite bible version?

In His Grip, 
Jane xo            

Thanks for reading See Jane Learn and I'd love to connect with you.

P.S. Remember: do not text and drive-it can wait!

Top photo source: Pinterest/http://www.healingplacechurch.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment