Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

What I learned in July

My brave, tender-hearted son T.J.
During the month of July I've been learning many things and you might have noticed I have certainly NOT been writing any blogs. Am I still a blogger? Hmmm... Here are six things I know for sure:
1. I kind of like Pina Coladas, thanks to my daughter. I'm not a big coconut fan (unless it's body lotion or fried on shrimp.) One hot, sunny day my youngest made a pitcher of Pina Coladas and brought me one. It was good! Don't tell anyone that the mixologist won't be 21 until September.

2. I am not my age. In reality my birthday is later this month and I'm turning (gulp)~55. I might ache in the morning but I do not think I am old in my head. I took a test on Facebook and even they agree with me! Here is what the test results said:

Here is our best guess at who you are:
1. You are female. yep
2. You are currently in your twenties, you are single, dating at nights and balancing a promising career during the day. Nope. 54, happily married, yes we love to go out, and yes I love my job at Charlie Barnes Kids.
3. You are smart, calculated, funny and imaginative. Why thank you!
4. You have black hair, dark eyes a cute nose. Not even close. Blond, blue eyes, my Daddy's big nose.
5. You own a pet. Yes. Two actually. Sydney the dog and Tigger the cat.
Am I the only one who takes those silly tests on Facebook?...

3. I am just one of many… (patients.)  When you're waiting to hear back about medical tests, sometimes it is easy to forget that doctors have LOTS of patients and sometimes paperwork and vacation-time conflicts with contacting the patient ME! After two tests and one unpleasant procedure, I had to wait for weeks to finally find out that no I don’t have cancerous cells but yesI need to have a lumpectomy next week due to atypical cells. Get your yearly mammograms, girls!

4. My friend's deck is the BEST place to watch fireworks. For the last two years we've joined our friends down the street on their gorgeous deck with a panoramic view including Mt. Rainer, to watch fireworks. Sipping wine, visiting, no traffic, it's perfect.
5. When your son is on a mission trip to Burma and communication stops, don't necessarily think the worst. Back in May I was wondering if my 22 year old would decide to go on a mission trip after graduation. He went back and forth on his decision. I went back and forth on my Mama support of the decision. In the end, despite not raising many funds, my brave, tender-hearted man-cub felt called to go with his girlfriend Katie and meet up with another Whitworth University couple ministering to the people up in Northern Burma. We got word that they’d landed in Thailand, but for the next six days or so they went “radio silent.” NO communication. NO emails. NO idea whether or not they were safe. All Katie's parents, my husband and I could do was wait, trust, and PRAYWe finally received word that after DAYS of uncomfortable travel, they'd arrived in Myitkyina and found a room in a library where they can go to get Internet connection. When I hear the following scripture verse, it now has personal meaning for me. I can't wait until they return safely and I get to hear all about their experiences.
And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Mark 16:15 
Kachin State of Burma

6. We're coming back to the "Mainland." After two years of wondering what might happen to the rental home we’ve been living in on an island, losing count of how many homes we toured over those two years (especially in the last six weeks) and spending too much on gas, a home went on the market this spring and waited for us to find it!  It's right downtown and will be perfect for us as we transition once again into being empty nesters. We are so thankful. We'll be moving at the beginning of September and I'll share more about it later. 

I am linking up with Emily P. Freeman at Chatting at the Sky. What did you learn in July?

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment