Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

What I've Been Reading Lately~May Edition


I love to read! You probably can guess that due to my blog title, "See Jane Learn," that I grew up reading Dick and Jane primers. My taste isn't as sophisticated as many of my friends and children, but I read whenever I'm free.

Do you read only one book at a time or do you have several "going" simultaneously? I'm usually taking turns between one fiction novel and one or two non-fiction books. I buy, borrow, download and use the Library book app called Overdrive. I thought I would share the books in my pile this month.
Non-Fiction:

I happened to read a review of Popular in USA Today and the premiss of the book hooked me. The author is only in high school and she wrote a memoir of surviving middle school and following advice from a book written in the 1950's. I haven't finished it yet, but every chapter makes me smile.

Spiritual Disciplines Handbook was recommended by one of my pastors. Each chapter covers a different subject and has suggestions for practice along with scripture. I'll be opening up this for a very long time.

I first saw this adorable book while visiting in Indianapolis and regretted not buying it. I saw it again at Auntie's Bookstore while in Spokane and it now sits on my coffee table. It uses pictures out of all the vintage Golden Books while addressing situations of real life. Two examples are; "Break bread together every day." "Dress up and go dancing...any kind of dancing!" I pretty much agree with everything in this book and think it would make a cute graduation gift.

I love The Nesting Place! My hubby took my hint and gave it to me for Mother's Day. I follow Myquillyn Smith's blog, Nesting Place and her advice is spot on. She adheres to "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful," and she even has some advice for renters. (Which comes in quite handy since we've now been in this rental home 2+ years.) This book is a treasure. Put it on your wish list, hint to your hubby, or buy it for someone you love.

Fiction:

I just downloaded this Novella, A June Bride, on my Kindle Cloud. Mary Beth Whalen is a Christian author, and mom of six and I follow her blog. I've read her four previous novels and a new one is coming out next week called The Bridge Tender.


Last on my pile is a paperback romance that I picked up at an airport when my kindle app wasn't working. It's called The Devaney Brothers (Ryan & Sean) and takes place in Boston. Sherryl Woods has written lots of books that take place on the East Coast. (Remember me mentioning I didn't always have sophisticated taste read classics? A good romance book can be a fun escape!)

Right now I need to get my pile of books set aside and begin packing for our church's women's retreat. It's going to be a wonderful weekend spent with my daughter and lots of friends and the only book I'm bringing along is my favorite, The Bible!

Happy Reading!

In His Grip, Jane





No comments:

Post a Comment