Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Flash of Orange


Two weeks ago I took my first “by myself” train ride to Chicago from my western suburb of Glen Ellyn. I felt quite grown up and cosmopolitan as I disembarked, hailed a cab and met a dear friend for a day of shopping and lunch.

We sniffed our way through the Nordstrom fragrance department, and before lunch at the Grand Luxe Cafe we headed to Forever 21. I wanted to find a surprise for my daughter who is student teaching in Costa Rica. (Shh-don’t tell her.) Little did I know I would create a "color" memory at the huge two-story clothing store.

For my day in the city I had chosen to wear black walking shorts, and a v-neck patterned tunic over a bright orange tank. Full-length mirrors dotted walls throughout the second floor, so rather than wait in the long dressing room line I just tried some tops over what I was wearing. The last top wasn’t flattering, so I hung it back on the hanger and continued wandering around while my friend Karen went to the dressing room.

I walked by a full length mirror and caught a glimpse of my reflection; all I saw was a flash of orange. Where was my top? I no longer had on my patterned tunic, only the tank which was not super flattering on my I hate sit-ups body. Karen walked toward me and immediately she noticed something was amiss (and missing).

I asked the store clerk if he’d seen a top laying around that obviously wasn’t a Forever 21 style. I suppose my dilemma sounded a bit odd but he tried to help. We madly searched the areas we’d been looking at. Did I mention how HUGE the store was? Low and behold it was hiding on a hanger underneath the last top I’d tried on. If I hadn’t found it, I would definitely have been forced to purchase something new to wear in public!

Once I was fully dressed again we started to laugh. Two grown women; bent over and laughing until we cried… There I was thinking I didn’t look half bad on my city outing, only to discover I’d been walking around missing half my outfit! I must have looked ridiculous like the main character in “The Emperor’s New Clothes”! I felt so exposed… I’ve had many times of feeling exposed, but usually hurt feelings or regret is involved instead of lost tops and laughter.

"Behold, I come like a thief! Blessed is he who stays awake and keeps his clothes with him, so that he may not go naked and be shamefully exposed."
Revelation 16:15

If you ever see me wearing orange and I’m smiling, you’ll know I’m remembering …

Lessons Learned: The wait for a dressing room is worth it, and laughing with a friend is the BEST medicine for stress.

In His Grip, Jane

1 comment: