Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook


Sunday was my last summer day on the Bay.
FOR TODAY, July 12th, 2011

Well, I’m back in the Midwest. Not exactly the welcome back I had hoped for. We had a "Micro-Burst" storm yesterday morning. Power is out for most of Glen Ellyn. I just arrived at our library…ah, it’s cool and I can get on my computer!

Outside my window
... HOT, sunny, tree branches down everywhere and lining the curbs. On the computer it says it's 87. Our thermometer reads 111 outside and 83 inside.
I am thinking...about the fun vacation Mike and I had last week. We started in Seattle, visited friends near Vancouver, drove the 101 through giant redwoods to the ocean, headed down to the Napa area, then ended with a night in Portland.


I am thankful for... our neighbor running us a line from his generator so we can keep our refrigerator going. I’m also thankful for Sarah returning in one piece from Beyond Malibu and getting to see my oldest daughter Allie before she takes off to student teach in Costa Rica.

From the kitchen...well, last night we ate out at Outback Steakhouse. It was Mike’s birthday and I was going to make him shish-kabobs and carrot cake. That will have to wait. Instead we had little filets, crabmeat, salad, veggies and a scoop of ice cream. The Sangria was great! Tonight I think we’ll eat out again so I can be in air conditioning.
I am wearing...pink tank, patterned shorts from Anthropologie, flip flops, hair up in a messy, wet bun.
I am creating... a full can of weeds. I worked out in the yard this morning. I cleaned up the beds and window boxes. Now I need to get to a garden store and buy flowers.
I am going…to walk a bit farther to town and see what I can find to eat.We only have one car here so I'll be hanging out at home or in town. I hope to buy a bicycle tonight.
I am reading..I just finished Marrying Daisy Bellamy by Susan Wiggs. Today I’m starting The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. I bought it while I was in Calistoga, CA.where our friends live. They took us on a private tour of the Culinary Institute of America and the wine tasting was fun too.
I am hoping... Com Ed can restore power soon. Lots of hot people in our town…
I am hearing.. quiet noises around me in the library. I met a really nice woman sitting next to me.
Around the house…I cleaned the bathrooms (Mike & I have a different standard) and unpacked. I can’t start my projects until the power goes back on.
One of my favorite things…being with good friends at a wedding. The daughter of our friends from small group was married Saturday. What a beautiful couple, wonderful ceremony and FUN reception!



A few plans for the rest of the week
: I’m taking it day by day. Without power I can’t do a whole lot. I need to pick a color of paint for our master bedroom. I’m thinking a soft gray, then I’ll get white hotel bedding with gray stitching and do accents of yellow or aqua. Anyone have any ideas??
Here is picture for thought I am sharing...

Sarah, 9 campaigner-group friends, two amazing leaders and three guides headed up a mountain near Malibu Canada.It was hard, but beautiful, and they made memories for a lifetime. I'm SO proud of her!

To join the fun, visit Peggy at: http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/
In His Grip, Jane

2 comments:

  1. What a busy time! I love Washington. Hope I can visit friends there this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post today :) Hope your power is back up by now. Its been sweltering in our area too. 106 I think today!
    Your master bedroom re-do sounds very nice. I am all about aquas and robin egg blue here lately.
    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete