Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

No Umbrellas Needed


I love showers! No, I am not talking about rain showers. (I get a little tired of rain since I live in the Northwest.) I love bridal showers and baby showers!

I have been invited to two bridal showers in the last couple weeks for two amazing young women. I love the excitement and joy as a group of women get together to celebrate the upcoming wedding and young family that is embarking on their journey together. The food, devotions, prayers over the bride, sharing traditions and advice, and watching all the gifts being opened is such fun.

I learned a lot listening to other women give advice on marriage to the young bride. I thought I’d list some of my favorite things I heard:

Hold hands, a lot
Kiss in the morning, before bed, when leaving or coming home from work
Study your man; learn his likes, dislikes, what makes him tick, what ticks him off
Never stop learning about marriage; read books, go to conferences, do classes at church
Love God even more than your husband and He’ll help you love him better
Every day say to yourself, “I choose him”
Do first things together; try new things with your man, not just your girlfriends
Learn to do a sport or hobby together
Wear sexy underwear
Date each other once a week


These are just some of the things my friends mentioned as advice. Even after 28 years with Mike, I still have a lot to learn about how to be a better wife.

“Let my teaching fall on you like rain; let my speech settle like dew. Let my words fall like rain on tender grass, like gentle showers on young plants.” Deuteronomy 32:2

I’m so glad my youngest daughter was with me at the shower today. She’s tucking away all the Godly wisdom she heard in her heart for the time when she herself will be a bride. She’s even thinking about what couple she’d like to mentor her someday.

I can’t think of a greater honor than to be asked to mentor a young couple. We’ll get a bit of practice this summer when our oldest son & his wife move in with us in Illinois for a year! (Actually, I'll need to remember not to give advice unless it's asked for...)

Shhh, don’t tell Mike, but I really intend to learn to play golf!

In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment