Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Reflections of Roma-Day Three; He Had Me at Hello



Tuesday was the day that APP had arranged a private tour of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel. We were given a headset and introduced to our tour guide.

His name was Nino Giovanetti.

Imagine the most interesting man in the world beer commercial actor without the beard, and you’ll be close. He was handsome, suave, debonair, and we all instantly fell in love.

“Hellooooooo!...” was his famous way of making sure we were listening. He said it in a sing-song voice. He spoke in the third person. “Follow Nino!” “Nino is over here.”


He seemed to know everyone and commanded respect from officials and police officers. His knowledge was vast and I learned so much about Michelangelo’s masterpieces and the Catholic history. I could have listened to him all day.

I discovered Nino has his own website so you can check him out too! http://www.ninoknows.com/

I would follow Nino just about anywhere. I have no idea how much it cost APP to hire Nino as our guide, but whatever it was, it was worth it. He had a gentle, yet magnetic way of drawing you in. It reminded me of Jesus inviting his disciples to follow him.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men.
"Matthew 4:19

It costs a lot to follow Jesus, but He is worth it.

I’m hoping to return to Italy someday (in two years for our 30th wedding anniversary?) and have Nino take us to the beaches he talked about.

The Vatican and Sistine Chapel were amazing, as expected. It is my second time there, but due to the amazing "experienced guide" that Nino was, I got SO much out of the tour.





In His Grip, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment