Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You Look Happy to Me, to Me


When my babies were tiny, and I was rocking them, one of my favorite songs I sang them was “Edelweiss” from the Sound of Music. The sweet little song about an Alpine flower became my go-to song as they grew and I tucked them in bed, and all four of my children seemed to like it. I took liberty with the last lyric, and changed the words to “bless my Mitchell forever”! (Or Allie, T.J. or Sarah- whoever I was singing to…)

The real song goes:
Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white, clean and bright
you look happy to meet me
Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever
Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Bless my homeland forever

As my oldest son’s wedding approached, he mentioned that while Amy danced with her daddy, I would get to dance with him. I was filled with delight and fear. Even after a few “lessons” of ballroom dancing at our church, I still have trouble following- I suppose it’s my natural desire to lead?... I didn’t want to make a fool of myself and we’d had zero chances to practice. The wedding was amazing (more about that in a later blog) and the reception was in full swing when it was time for our special dance. Imagine my delight when the song Edelweiss began. Apparently Amy’s parents also used to sing her that song as a baby. So many very cool coincidences- we choose to believe it’s just more confirmation that Mitch & Amy were meant to be together. Amy’s parents live in Colorado, and we’ve just transplanted from the Seattle area to a suburb of Illinois, but we both were married on June 11, 1983 on the north and south-side of Indianapolis. Pretty cool, huh? We have a better chance of them remembering our anniversaries.

So the song played and while we danced, we talked. About how perfect the wedding was, about how happy he was, about how much fun the reception was. I had been wondering if I’d cry throughout the event and I hardly did at all! God allowed me to fully enjoy the blessing of watching my first child enter into the holy union. Just like in Ecclesiastes 3:4 where it says “A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.” I could forget about the sadness I’d experienced at having to move away from friends and adjust to three of my kids living in another state. I danced and I smiled and I laughed.


What joy! Dancing with your child at their wedding is as wonderful as rocking your newborn baby to sleep. I am learning that time marches on… children grow older…and that’s ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment