Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I See the Moon




I can’t sleep well unless the room is REALLY dark. A have three different eye masks that I often grab and put on to block the light. The one I bought at Old Navy with painted-on eyes is not my husband’s favorite. I keep them in my bedside table and grab one if I can’t sleep. Sometimes I want to sleep while my husband is reading in bed so I want to block the lamp light. Sometimes the sun rises a bit too early for me. Last night I thought the neighbor’s security light was streaming in my window, but on second glance I realized it was the moon. Wow! It was SO bright! A favorite childhood song ran through my head as I tried to go back to sleep.My Mom sang it to me, and I used to sing it to all four of my children:


I see the moon,the moon sees me,
I see somebody I’d like to be,
God bless the moon and God bless me,
God bless somebody I’d like to be.
It seems to me that God above,
Created you for me to love,
He picked you out from all the rest,
Because He knew I’d love you the best.


My family went to the Alder Planetarium last weekend in Chicago. Although it didn’t live up to its advertising, the presentation we watched was another reminder of the awesome creative power of God. Thinking about all the stars and galaxies in outer space is humbling.

The moon fascinates me. It reflects the Sun’s light and yet it looks like it’s lit from within. That’s supposed to be our job too, as believers. We are to be “lit from within” by the Spirit and reflecting God’s image to those around us.

“And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” 2 Corinthians 3:18

So… I haven’t been doing such a good job lately. I’m pretty wrapped up in self-pity right now. The only reflection people might see is an underlying anger and sadness because I’m grieving the loss of my friends and the house I left behind in Washington. If given the option, I’m sure my husband would like to put on a sleep mask so he didn’t have to look at me…The moon has stages, I guess I'm going through stages too. I'm in the "moving-madness" stage. Hopefully I'll shine a bit brighter for the Lord as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment