Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What I Learned in March


March Madness isn't quite over since there are final four games this weekend and the championship game on Monday, but... the month of March has come to an end and it's time for me to recall some things I learned.

1. Camilla flowers are beautiful, but they aren't really meant for cutting.
We have four bushes in our new yard. I've cut a few stems to bring inside only to realize they have a very short "shelf life."

2. Board game sales are up.
What? I rarely watch the news, but one night on NBC, Brian's replacement said it's true. Families and friends are spending more money buying, and more time playing, board games. Perhaps to compensate for all the time spent on technology? Two of my favorites were mentioned: Battleship (I used to play that with my Daddy when I was little) and Yahtzee (A favorite of my kids.)

3. Wisdom Teeth surgery is fun! 
(April Fools...)  I remember my own experience back in high school, but was reminded earlier this month how unpleasant it can be. My college daughter had to fly home on a Friday morning just in time to drive to the Oral Surgeon, she had two days to be cared for by her Mama, and then she had to fly back to Spokane and attempt to attend night class. Let's just say we were ALL tired of seeing shakes, pudding, soup, ice packs, meds, gauze, etc. I hated to see her go in pain, and her first two days back on campus did not go as planned. Classes were missed. I took pics of her all puffy but I will keep those from social media since I love her...

4. Mr. Rogers continues to teach me.
I loved watching Mr. Rogers with my oldest son back in the late '80's. By the time my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th children came along I just couldn't convince all four to tune in. Oh the sweet lessons he taught. I read a great article about him here.

One of the questions at my bible study yesterday was, "What keeps you from spending more time with Jesus? Television?" Hmmm. Makes this quote of Fred Rogers seem pretty spot on.

 “If we take time," he said, "we can often go much deeper as far as a spiritual life is concerned than we can if there's constant distraction. Often television gives such constant distraction—noise and fast-paced things—which doesn't allow us to take time to explore the deeper levels of who we are, and who we can become."
Photo source: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/09/each-of-you-is-special-just-because.html

5. It's best to "clock out" yourself.  
Sometimes where I work  I get paid to have fun, we will stop or start each other's timesheet on the computer. A couple weeks ago I was leaving and my boss friend and store owner, said she'd clock me out. Four days later when I had my next shift and was about to "clock in" at Charlie Barnes I noticed the green time numbers turning. Yay! I had been working for over a hundred hours! What a great paycheck I'd have! NOT... Silly me. It wasn't real.

6. Taking the 90 day challenge was SO good! 
No, I didn't attempt to exercise every morning to lose these mean 10 pounds... What I did do was stretch my spiritual muscles. I joined my church family in reading one chapter of the four Gospels every day and then answering two questions: What did you learn about Jesus? What did you learn about being a disciple/disciple-maker? My husband and I, my small group, my women's bible study~we've all studied and pondered and discussed what we've read and learned. Thank you Chapel Hill for helping us prepare for Easter in such a meaningful way!


"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life." John 6:47

So, how about you? What did you learn in the month of March? I'm linking up with Emily P. Freeman at her blog Chatting at the Sky. She always has such great posts! I hope all you sweet readers are having a meaningful Holy Week surrounded by your people. As Mr. Rogers told us, "You are special." 

In His Grip,
Jane                       
xo                                            Thanks for stopping by See Jane Learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment